About This Chapter
Reading Comprehension Techniques - Chapter Summary
This fun chapter makes it easy to absorb reading comprehension strategies, details about language structure, strategies for understanding different forms of writing and more. Study these topics with help from our fun lessons. When finished, you will have the knowledge to:
- Identify and describe reading comprehension strategies
- Share strategies used to understand different forms of writing
- Explain the role of text features and language structure in reading comprehension
- Discuss literary forms and genres and how they affect meaning
- Describe teaching strategies for vocabulary words and reading comprehension
- Detail the relationship between literacy and writing
If you have a busy schedule and wonder how you will be able to study the concepts covered in this chapter, don't worry! All lessons are available 24/7 and can be accessed using any computer or mobile device with an Internet connection. Review the lessons as many times as you'd like to gain the best understanding of these reading comprehension techniques. When ready, test your knowledge by taking mini quizzes and a practice exam.
1. Strategies for Reading Comprehension
Have you been assigned to read something and you just couldn't understand what the author is trying to tell you? In this lesson, you will learn five strategies to help yourself understand what you are reading.
2. Strategies for Understanding Various Forms of Writing
Reading effectively means knowing the genre of literature and using strategies for that writing. Different types of writing such as narrative, expository, descriptive, and persuasive have specific objectives and require varied reading strategies.
3. Language Structure & Text Features in Reading Comprehension
In this lesson we will examine how language structure and text features can help you comprehend what you are reading and, ultimately, remember the information better!
4. Literary Forms & Genres: How They Affect Meaning
In this lesson, we will explore literary forms and genres. We'll define these terms, look at examples of each, and see how they affect the meaning of the texts they characterize.
5. Vocabulary Words & Reading Comprehension: Teaching Strategies
Learning how to decipher unfamiliar words is imperative in any language arts classroom. Watch this video lesson to learn strategies for teaching vocabulary in reading passages.
6. The Relationship Between Writing & Literacy
With effort and understanding writing and literacy, much like the aspects of any good rom-com relationship, offer a partnership of mutual reward and development.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Teaching Reading Test (5204): Practice & Study Guide course
- Language Development & Skills
- Printed Forms of Information
- Understanding Phonological Development & Awareness
- Overview of Phonics
- Fundamentals for Reading Comprehension Instruction
- Teaching & Improving Language Fluency
- Teaching & Building Vocabulary
- Methods for Teaching Reading
- Student Assessment Methods
- Praxis Teaching Reading Flashcards