About This Chapter
Reading Strategies & Comprehension - Chapter Summary
Enjoy online access to fun lessons you can review to study reading strategies and ways to improve reading comprehension. Developed by expert instructors, these lessons provide in-depth analyses of text reconstruction, idioms, how to interpret literary meaning and more. Explore these lessons at your own pace. When finished, you will be able to:
- Understand the basics of essays and how to improve reading comprehension
- Use text to interpret literary meaning
- Recognize details that elaborate upon a main idea
- Draw conclusions when reading a selection of text
- Improve reading skills using vocabulary strategies
- Aid in reading comprehension by connecting referent words
- Explain the basics of text reconstruction
- Define and provide examples of an idiom
All lessons in this chapter are accessible 24/7 and can be viewed using any smartphone, tablet or computer. Examine them anytime and from any location with an Internet connection to better understand specific reading strategies. Submit any questions you have about lesson topics to our experts via the Dashboard. Mini quizzes and a practice exam can check your understanding of this chapter.
1. Get the Gist of an Essay & Improve Reading Comprehension
In this lesson, we learn quick rules of getting the 'gist' or point of a sentence, paragraph and essay. This skill will improve your reading speed and help you become a more effective and efficient reader and writer.
2. Interpreting Literary Meaning: How to Use Text to Guide Your Interpretation
In this lesson, we will discuss how to find and interpret literary meaning in writings. The lesson will focus on using the text to find key elements to guide your interpretation.
3. Recognizing Details That Elaborate Upon a Main Idea
One of the most important tasks of reading, is determining the point of what is being read. This lesson will explain how to spot details that are related to the main idea, while also giving plenty of examples to help you out!
4. Drawing Conclusions from a Reading Selection
When someone drops hints, we're able to draw conclusions about what they're really trying to say. Similarly, as readers, we use clues to draw conclusions from texts. This lesson explains how to draw conclusions and how to teach this important skill.
5. Using Vocabulary Strategies to Improve Reading Skills
Vocabulary strategies are a good way to dissect words within a passage to determine their meaning. This lesson discusses several different ways to do this quickly and without a dictionary.
6. Text Reconstruction: Explanation & Practice
Read this lesson to learn how to reconstruct a text using retelling, making inferences, determining sequence of events and identifying transitional words and phrases.
7. What is an Idiom? - Definition & Examples
Break a leg! It takes two to tango. In this lesson, we'll learn all about idioms, those colorful figures of speech that play with language and take on a meaning of their own.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.