About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other comprehensive English work.
- Identify the reading and understanding essays concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our NY Regents Exam - Comprehensive English tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn how to read and understand essays and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding how to use context to determine the meaning of words, decide on the best audience for an essay, peer edit or any other reading and understanding essays topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their English learning
- Prefer learning English visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their reading and understanding essays unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in preparing for the NY Regents Exam - Comprehensive English
- Don't have access to their English teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about reading and understanding essays simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live English tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn to read and understand essays on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Understand how to get the gist of an essay.
- Determine the meaning of words using context.
- Learn how to find the best audience for your essay.
- Edit essays written by other writers.
1. Get the Gist of an Essay & Improve Reading Comprehension
In this lesson, we learn quick rules of getting the 'gist' or point of a sentence, paragraph and essay. This skill will improve your reading speed and help you become a more effective and efficient reader and writer.
2. How to Use Context to Determine the Meaning of Words
With diligence and intrepid ingenuity, you can use context to ascertain the purport of a word. In other words, in this lesson, we'll find out how to use context to figure out what words mean.
3. How to Determine the Best Audience or Readers for an Essay
Who should be reading this? Not every essay can be enjoyed by everyone equally. How do you know who is the best target for an essay? This lesson will help you figure that out.
4. Peer Editing: How to Edit Essays By Other Writers
Alfred Sheinwold once said, 'Learn all you can from the mistakes of others.' A great way to improve your own writing is by editing the writing of others - especially when you have to find the not so obvious mistakes. That is what we will be learning in this lesson - how to edit the work of other writers. The biggest benefit will be in helping you avoid those same mistakes in your own writing.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Comprehensive English: Tutoring Solution course
- Sentence Structure: Elements of Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- Sentence Structure - Understanding Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- Usage in English: Tutoring Solution
- Organization: Tutoring Solution
- Writing Mechanics: Tutoring Solution
- Essay Basics: Types of Essay: Tutoring Solution
- Essay Basics: Writing an Essay: Tutoring Solution
- The Writing Process: Development & Planning: Tutoring Solution
- The Writing Process: Writing & Structuring an Essay: Tutoring Solution
- The Writing Process: Revision & Improving Your Essay: Tutoring Solution
- Interpreting Theme & Meaning: Tutoring Solution
- Figurative Language: Tutoring Solution
- Examples of Literary Analysis: Tutoring Solution