About This Chapter
Reading & Writing for California Student English Language Development - Chapter Summary
In this helpful chapter, you'll find topics related to the reading and writing standards for English language development in the state of California. These include the relationship between ELA and ELD standards in reading, systematic vocabulary development, word analysis, fluency, comprehension and literary analysis and response. Once you've finished these lessons, you should also be able to meet the following objectives:
- Outline some of the reading resources available to ELL students
- Detail the different types of fiction
- Provide a definition for and examples of nonfiction
- Describe the importance of multicultural literature
- Explain the relationship between ELA and ELD writing standards
- Identify the California ELA and ELD writing standards for writing strategies, purpose and English language conventions
We've created these study resources to assist you as you study for an exam or work through a challenging assignment. Our Dashboard is a great way to monitor your movement through the chapter, and also provides a place for you to submit any questions you have to an instructor. Before moving on, take a minute to answer the multiple-choice questions on the quizzes to make sure you're on track.
1. The Relationship between ELD & ELA Standards in Reading
Would you like a breakdown of how ELA and ELA Standards are related as per California policy? This lesson gives you an overview of the key standards for reading in California.
2. California ELD & ELA Standards in Reading: Systematic Vocabulary Development
In California, your students who are learning English have the challenge to also develop their skills in English Language Arts. This lesson discusses the strategies that help students with vocabulary development.
3. California ELD & ELA Standards in Reading: Word Analysis
In California, word analysis is a core skill for students between kindergarten and third grade. This lesson explores the aspects you should focus on as a teacher so that your students perform as expected with word analysis.
4. California ELD & ELA Standards in Reading: Fluency
One of the expectations in California is that students can read with fluency. To achieve this, you can apply a few strategies in class with your students. This lesson reviews specific strategies that aim at reading fluency.
5. California ELD & ELA Standards in Reading: Reading Comprehension
Reading comprehension is a key skill students in California have to master. As a teacher, there are many strategies you can apply to help students achieve a high level of reading comprehension. This lesson gives you an overview of those strategies.
6. California ELD & ELA Standards in Reading: Literary Response & Analysis
Literary response and analysis of texts is a skill the California educational authorities expect students to master. This lesson explores the strategies teachers there can apply to lead students to success in this skill.
7. Reading Resources for ELL Students
Reading can be a challenging subject for English Language Learners (ELLs), but with appropriate resources, an ELL teacher can help make English reading both fun and interesting.
8. What Is Fiction? - Definition & Types
In this lesson, we will learn about fiction. We'll take a close look at its definitions and its types and explore the difference between literary and commercial fiction.
9. What Is Nonfiction? - Definition & Examples
There are a wide variety of genres of literature, but most can be separated into two categories. Watch this video lesson to learn about one of those categories: nonfiction.
10. Multicultural Literature: Definition, Books & Importance
Multicultural literature features characters and themes from countries around the world. Writers in this genre express their ideas and values through the characters featured in their work. By examining these works in detail, you can learn how to understand them and broaden your understanding.
11. The Relationship Between ELD & ELA Standards in Writing
In California, there is a relationship between English Language Development (ELD) and English Language Arts (ELA) for the purpose of writing skills. In this lesson, you have an overview of such relationship and how to assist students with writing.
12. California ELD & ELA Standards in Writing: Strategies & Applications
In California, many students are learning the English language while they learn academic content in other subjects. In this lesson, we explore the strategies their teachers can apply in order to develop their writing skills.
13. California ELD & ELA Standards in Writing: Purpose, Speaker, Audience & Form
Do you want to help your students develop their writing skills? This lesson offers strategies based on ELD and ELA standards to help your student learn about purpose, speaker, audience, and form.
14. California ELD & ELA Standards in Writing: English Language Conventions
Teachers in California work hard to promote the writing ability of students. In this lesson, we'll focus on the teaching approaches that develop different aspects of writing abilities English language learners need.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CTEL 2 - Assessment & Instruction (032): Practice & Study Guide course
- Standards-Based Assessment for ELL in California
- Purposes & Types of Assessment for ELL
- Language & Content-Area Assessment for ELL
- Programs & Requirements for English Learners in California
- Foundations of English Language Literacy
- English Language Development Approaches & Methods
- Listening & Speaking for California Student English Language Development
- Specially Designed Academic Instruction in English (SDAIE)
- Instructional Planning & Organization for ELD & SDAIE
- Components of Effective Instructional Delivery in ELD & SDAIE
- Effective Resource Use in ELD & SDAIE
- CTEL Assessment & Instruction Flashcards