About This Chapter
Real, Complex & Rational Zeros - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Use the lessons in this chapter to boost your knowledge of real, complex and rational zeros. Expert instructors have compiled materials and created lessons you can explore to get full comprehension of this subject area. The lessons take a close look at real zeros of polynomials, offering examples to help enhance your understanding. This chapter also explores the mathematical operations involved in finding complex and rational zeros in algebra, and helps you get a great grasp of how to use rational and complex zeros to write polynomial equations.
Some lessons are available as videos, with full transcripts displaying easy-to-identify vocabulary words. Text lessons also feature highlighted key words. Review the lessons in any sequence you desire, and revisit them as many times as you'd like until you've gotten the gist of the materials. Take the self-assessment quiz with each lesson, along with a more comprehensive chapter exam to gauge your knowledge of real, complex and rational zeros. Reviewing the lessons will help you learn:
- The basics of real zeros of polynomials
- How to find complex zeros of a polynomial function
- Ways to find rational zeros using the rational zeros theorem and synthetic division
- Steps for writing polynomial equations by using rational and complex zeros
|Real Zeros of Polynomials||Learn the meaning and a description of real zeros of polynomials.|
|Finding Complex Zeros of a Polynomial Function||Understand how to find complex zeros of a polynomial function.|
|Finding Rational Zeros Using the Rational Zeros Theorem & Synthetic Division||Examine rational zeros theorem, and learn how to apply the theorem to find zeros of polynomial functions.|
|Using Rational & Complex Zeros to Write Polynomial Equations||Study how to write a polynomial function from its given zeros, and learn how to follow steps that convert zeros into factors and then factors into polynomial functions.|
1. Real Zeros of Polynomials
In this lesson, we'll tackle polynomial equations and learn how to solve for their zero values. We'll also work through some sample problems using Descartes' Rule of Signs.
2. Finding Complex Zeros of a Polynomial Function
This lesson will explain how to find complex zeros of a polynomial. You will be shown examples to apply factoring and the quadratic formula or square roots to solve for complex zeros.
3. Finding Rational Zeros Using the Rational Zeros Theorem & Synthetic Division
After completing this lesson, you will know what the rational zeros theorem says. You will also know how to apply this theorem to find zeros of polynomial functions.
4. Using Rational & Complex Zeros to Write Polynomial Equations
In this lesson, you will learn how to write a polynomial function from its given zeros. You will learn how to follow a process that converts zeros into factors and then factors into polynomial functions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Intermediate Algebra for College Students course
- Algebra Review
- Number Theory Principles
- Exponents & Their Properties
- Rational Expressions & Practice
- Linear Equations, Systems & Graphs
- Linear Inequalities
- Absolute Value Expressions & Graphs
- Complex Numbers, Forms & Graphs
- Quadratic Equations & Solutions
- Logarithmic & Trigonometric Equations
- Cartesian Coordinate System
- Linear Models
- Types of Functions
- Graphing & Transforming Functions
- Quadratic & Polynomial Functions
- Operations on Functions
- Rational Functions & Inequalities
- Pythagorean Theorem
- Probability Calculations
- Measurement & Unit Conversion