About This Chapter
Real Estate Investment & Analysis - Chapter Summary
Real estate can be a lucrative investment, but there is more to it than meets the eye. Real estate professionals need to have a thorough understanding of investment real estate so they can provide accurate information to their clients throughout the process. The lessons in this chapter explore:
- Types of investment real estate
- Understanding ownership options
- Securities and real estate investments
- Tax implications
- Investment analysis calculations
From tax shelters to analysis calculations, our subject matter experts will walk you through all the details of this chapter on investment in real estate. Watch the videos and work through the examples. If you have any questions, or something doesn't make sense, just message one of our experts. You can also use the written transcripts to review key terms or review individual topics in a video using the Timeline feature found in each lesson. The multiple choice self-assessment quiz at the end of each lesson is the perfect way to ensure you have mastered the material before moving on. And remember, you can do the lessons in any order you like, and you can track your progress on your Dashboard.
1. Real Estate Investment: Types, Advantages & Disadvantages
In this lesson, we will explore different kinds of real estate investment properties. These types of properties include residential rental properties, commercial rental properties and 'flip' properties.
2. Entity Ownership of Real Estate: Types, Pros & Cons
In this lesson we'll discuss types of entity property ownership. We'll also discuss the different kinds of legal structures available for holding real estate for business or investment purposes as well as the pros and cons of each.
3. How Securities Apply to Real Estate Investments
Real estate agents may come across investments that qualify as securities in their business dealings. Let's look at what a security is for the purposes of real estate and the laws that cover securities.
4. Tax Shelters & Passive Activity Loss: Definition & Rules
In this lesson, you will learn about the tax benefits of real estate. We will cover the definitions of tax shelters and passive activity losses. Understanding the rules of these topics can help a real estate investor become more profitable.
5. Investment Analysis for Property Acquisition
In this lesson, we will learn about information analysis. This skill involves collecting appropriate data on a property and determining its operating and financing expenses.
6. Net Operating Income & Gross Rent Multiplier: Definition & Calculation
Net operating income and gross rent multiplier calculations can help a real estate investor quickly evaluate prospective purchases and measure performance. We will also look at some of the other formulas investors use for their investment analysis.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Real Estate Exam Prep course
- Forms of Property Ownership
- Different Types of Estates in Real Estate
- Advanced Property Ownership Issues
- Real Estate Property Rights
- Encumbrances in Real Estate
- Advanced Encumbrances in Real Estate
- Land Use Regulations & Zoning
- Land Descriptions & Surveys
- Transfer of Real Property
- Advanced Transfer of Real Property
- Fair Housing & Consumer Protection Laws in Real Estate
- Real Estate Transactions & Contracts
- Contract Law in Real Estate
- Role of Agencies in Real Estate
- Property Valuation & Appraisal
- Property Condition Disclosure Statements in Real Estate
- Overview of Real Estate Financing
- Real Estate Loan Types & Programs
- Real Estate Loan Regulations
- Real Estate Loan Calculations
- Real Estate Closing & Settlement Procedures
- Real Estate Taxes, Warranties & Insurance
- Leases & Property Management
- Principles of Practicing Real Estate
- Real Estate Ethics & Professional Responsibility
- Real Estate Exam Prep Flashcards