About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Real Numbers in Algebra II chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Number types and graphing numbers||Natural, whole, integers, rational, irrational and real numbers; graphing rational numbers on the number line|
|Tuesday||Notations||Converting a fraction notation for a rational number to a decimal notation|
|Wednesday||Order of numbers; absolute zero||Determining which number is greater; using inequalities; definition and examples of absolute value|
|Thursday||Irrational denominators; algebraic and transcendental numbers||Rationalizing expressions with a radical in the denominator; the differences between algebraic and transcendental numbers|
|Friday||Pythagorean Triples||Integers that fit the formula for the Pythagorean Theorem|
1. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
2. Graphing Rational Numbers on a Number Line
Number lines have many uses both in mathematics and everyday life. This lesson will teach you how to graph numbers on a number line and give real-world examples of how to use number lines.
3. Notation for Rational Numbers, Fractions & Decimals
How do fractions become decimals? And how do decimals become fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about the notation of rational numbers, fractions and decimals and learn how they're related.
4. The Order of Real Numbers: Inequalities
An inequality is an operation describing how one number can be compared to another. This lesson will describe and define inequalities and the symbols used to represent them. It will also give some examples on how to work with inequalities.
5. Finding the Absolute Value of a Real Number
You can find the absolute value of any real number. This lesson will define absolute value, explain what real numbers are and give the steps to finding the absolute value of any real number.
6. How to Rationalize the Denominator with a Radical Expression
Watch this video lesson to learn what you can do to simplify your expression when you have a radical in the denominator. Learn what the single step solution to your problem is.
7. Algebraic Numbers and Transcendental Numbers
Math is all about numbers. In this lesson, you'll learn about the two different categories of numbers, called algebraic and transcendental. You'll learn the definition of each type and find out how common each of them is.
8. Understanding Numbers That Are Pythagorean Triples
In this video lesson, you will learn about numbers that form Pythagorean Triples. Learn why these are special numbers and what they have to do with triangles.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Algebra II Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Basic Arithmetic in Algebra II Lesson Plans
- Algebraic Expressions & Equations Lesson Plans
- Complex & Imaginary Numbers in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Exponents & Exponential Expressions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Properties of Functions in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Linear Equations in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Systems of Linear Equations in Algebra II Lesson Plans
- Working with Inequalities in Algebra Lesson Plans
- Matrices & Determinants in Algebra II Lesson Plans
- Absolute Value Review in Algebra II Lesson Plans
- Polynomials in Algebra II Lesson Plans
- Factoring in Algebra II Lesson Plans
- Quadratic Equations in Algebra II Lesson Plans
- Rational Expressions in Algebra II Lesson Plans
- Graphing & Functions in Algebra II Lesson Plans
- Roots & Radical Expressions in Algebra II Lesson Plans
- Exponential & Logarithmic Functions: Lesson Plans
- Conic Sections in Algebra II Lesson Plans
- Sequence & Series in Algebra II Lesson Plans
- Sets in Algebra II Lesson Plans
- Combinatorics in Algebra II Lesson Plans
- Lesson Plans for Calculations, Ratios, Percent & Proportions
- Statistics in Algebra II Lesson Plans
- Trigonometry in Algebra II Lesson Plans