About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Real Numbers: Types & Properties chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topic||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Types of numbers; rational numbers||Natural, whole, integers, rational, irrational and real numbers; the number line; graphing rational numbers; notation of rational numbers, fractions and decimals|
|Tuesday||Real numbers||Determining the order of real numbers; finding the absolute value of a real number|
|Wednesday||Commutative and associative property||Reordering operations using commutative property; associating expressions using associative property|
|Thursday||Multiplication property of zero; rationalizing denominators||Applications and examples of the multiplication property of zero; how to rationalizing denominators containing radical expressions|
|Friday||Algebraic numbers and Pythagorean triples||Algebraic and transcendental numbers; primitive and non-primitive Pythagorean triples|
1. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
2. Graphing Rational Numbers on a Number Line
Number lines have many uses both in mathematics and everyday life. This lesson will teach you how to graph numbers on a number line and give real-world examples of how to use number lines.
3. Notation for Rational Numbers, Fractions & Decimals
How do fractions become decimals? And how do decimals become fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about the notation of rational numbers, fractions and decimals and learn how they're related.
4. The Order of Real Numbers: Inequalities
An inequality is an operation describing how one number can be compared to another. This lesson will describe and define inequalities and the symbols used to represent them. It will also give some examples on how to work with inequalities.
5. Finding the Absolute Value of a Real Number
You can find the absolute value of any real number. This lesson will define absolute value, explain what real numbers are and give the steps to finding the absolute value of any real number.
6. The Commutative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three major properties that deal with the addition and multiplication of numbers. One of those properties is the commutative property. This lesson will define and give examples of the commutative property and how it works.
7. The Associative Property: Definition and Examples
There are three basic number properties that help to form the backbone of algebra. One of those properties is the associative property. This lesson will define the associative property and give some examples of how it works.
8. The Multiplication Property of Zero: Definition & Examples
The number zero has different rules than other numbers; it behaves according to it's own unique properties. This lesson will define the multiplication property of zero and give some examples of how it works.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Trigonometry Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Working with Linear Equations Lesson Plans
- Working with Inequalities Lesson Plans
- Absolute Value Equations Lesson Plans
- Working with Complex Numbers Lesson Plans
- Systems of Linear Equations Lesson Plans
- Mathematical Modeling Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Quadratics Lesson Plans
- Working with Quadratic Functions Lesson Plans
- Coordinate Geometry Review Lesson Plans
- Functions for Trigonometry Lesson Plans
- Function Operations Lesson Plans
- Graph Symmetry Lesson Plans
- Graphing with Functions Lesson Plans
- Polynomial Functions Basics Lesson Plans
- Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions Lesson Plans
- Rational Functions & Difference Quotients Lesson Plans
- Rational Expressions & Function Graphs Lesson Plans
- Exponential & Logarithmic Functions Lesson Plans
- Using Trigonometric Functions Lesson Plans
- Triangle Trigonometry Lesson Plans
- Trigonometric Graphs Lesson Plans
- Solving Trigonometric Equations Lesson Plans
- Trigonometric Identities Lesson Plans
- Trigonometric Applications Lesson Plans
- Analytic Geometry & Conic Sections Lesson Plans
- Vectors, Matrices & Determinants Lesson Plans
- Polar Coordinates & Parameterizations Lesson Plans
- Circular Arcs, Circles & Angles Lesson Plans