About This Chapter
Recognizing Functions - Chapter Summary
In this chapter on recognizing functions, concise lessons provide examples of quadratic, rational and linear functions. You can also get a clearer understanding of how to factor a polynomial function. After going through these mobile-friendly lessons, you should be able to confidently do the following:
- Give the definition of a linear function
- Provide the equation for a rational function
- Discuss the absolute value function
- Solve an equation with a quadratic formula
- List properties of polynomial functions
- Explain how to graph the square roots of functions
Refreshing your knowledge of how to recognize functions is easy with the help of our expert instructors. In addition to informative lessons, a short quiz is available to test your knowledge of each lesson. For your convenience, the quizzes link back to specific topics in the video, which means you can easily go back and review a function.
1. What is a Linear Function? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn the key identifying mark of linear functions. You'll also learn how to graph them with just two points and how you can use the graph to easily find your answers.
2. Rational Function: Definition, Equation & Examples
Rational functions are an extremely useful type of function found in mathematics. They are functions that are fractions whose numerator and denominator are both polynomials. Learn all about them in this lesson!
3. Absolute Value Function: Definition & Examples
The absolute value function shows up in the world around us in many different areas. In this lesson, we will define the absolute value function, look at its characteristics, observe its graph, and look at some examples involving this function.
4. Quadratic Functions: Examples & Formula
Learn what sets quadratic functions apart from all other functions. Learn how you can spot a quadratic just by looking at its graph. Also learn the two formulas that will help you when working with them.
5. Polynomial Functions: Properties and Factoring
Everything from projectile motion to trigonometric functions can be described by polynomials. Review factoring, polynomials and quadratic functions in this lesson.
6. Graphing Square Roots of Functions
In this lesson you will learn about the characteristics of a square root function and how to graph it. You will also examine in detail the effect the square root sign has on the independent and dependent quantities.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CLEP Precalculus: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Working with Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
- Piecewise and Composite Functions
- Functions as Models
- Understanding, Solving & Graphing Inequalities
- Understanding Linear Equations
- Radical, Rational and Absolute Value Equations
- Parabolas, Ellipses and Hyperbolas
- Factoring & Solving Quadratic Equations
- Exponents and Polynomials
- Geometry and Trigonometry
- Using Scientific Calculators
- CLEP Precalculus Flashcards
- Additional CLEP Precalculus Flashcards