About This Chapter
Regional Geography - Chapter Summary
Let our subject matter experts teach you about regional geography with the lessons in this chapter. This chapter examines the relationship between the people and geography of the world. Examine the mapping of the physical and human characteristics of Europe, East Asia, South Asia, Russia, Central Asia, North America, the Caribbean, Central America, South America, Africa, the Middle East, Australia, and the Pacific Islands.
Topics discussed in this lesson include:
- Overview of the world map
- Regions of the US
- Characteristics of human and cultural geography
- Grouping humans by culture, ethnic, race and gender
- Concepts of place and region
Our instructors created these short lessons to enhance your knowledge of regional geography. Each lesson features a quiz at the end to assess if you need to review any lesson material. One popular feature allows you to submit a question to a Study.com expert.
1. The World Map: Overview & Major Geographical Regions
The world is a big place, but how well do you know it? In this lesson, we're going to look at a basic overview of major world regions and see how they collectively create the world map.
2. What are the Regions of the United States?
What are the regions of the United States? This lesson discusses the different regional areas and their significance to American culture. A short quiz will follow to test your knowledge.
3. Human & Cultural Geography: Definition, Characteristics & Studies
Humans don't exist in a vacuum. We live with other humans, and we live in a specific environment. In this lesson, we'll examine human & cultural geography, including what it is, and what types of topics are studied in the field.
4. Identity and Human Grouping: Cultural, Ethnic, Racial & Gender
This lesson will seek to explain the different human groupings of culture, race, ethnicity, and gender. In doing so, it will discuss how these terms are and are not tied to biological and physical traits.
5. Understanding the Concepts of Place & Region
This lesson explores two of the five themes of geography - place and region. You will learn to define each and their subcategories, along with several examples to help you remember them.
6. Mapping the Physical & Human Characteristics of Europe
After watching this video, you will be able to describe the physical and human characteristics of Europe, including major cities, rivers, mountains, and valleys. A short quiz will follow.
7. Mapping the Physical & Human Characteristics of East Asia
After watching this video, you will be able to describe the major physical and human characteristics of East Asia and place them approximately on a map. A short quiz will follow.
8. Mapping the Physical & Human Characteristics of South Asia
After watching this video, you will be able to describe the physical and human characteristics of South Asia and place them on a map. A short quiz will follow.
9. Mapping the Physical & Human Characteristics of Russia & Central Asia
After watching this video, you will be able to describe the most important physical and human characteristics of Russia and Central Asia and place them on a map.
10. Mapping the Physical & Human Characteristics in North America's Regions
This lesson lists and describes the regions of North America. It focuses on terrain, climate, location, natural resources and people of the five main regions. It also defines the Cordilleras, wetlands and biomes.
11. Mapping the Physical & Human Characteristics of the Caribbean, Central & South America
This lesson discusses the physical geography and demographics of the Caribbean, Central America, and South America. It highlights the populations and religions of the different regions.
12. Mapping the Physical & Human Characteristics of Africa & the Middle East
Many of the first settlements in Africa and the Middle East have been continuously inhabited for more than 10,000 years. Are we just sentimental, or did our ancestors do that good of a job of picking places to live? This lesson answers that question.
13. Mapping the Physical & Human Characteristics of Australia & the Pacific Islands
After watching this video, you will be able to describe the physical and human characteristics of Australia and the Pacific Islands and indicate where the places are located. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.