About This Chapter
Relationship Conflict & Communication - Chapter Summary
Effective communication is an essential part of resolving relationship conflicts. In this chapter, our expert instructors explore the types of conflicts and dysfunctions that can arise in interpersonal and family relationships. They'll then break down different communication styles, methods and activities that are designed to resolve conflicts, build trust and improve relationships. When you're finished with the chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe the nature of family crisis and the effects of life events
- Evaluate dysfunctional family dynamics
- Recognize effective activities for family conflict resolution
- Identify interpersonal relationship threats
- Compare family communication styles and skills
- Assess the characteristics of interpersonal communication types
- Build trust in relationships
These lessons are taught in a simplified instructional style, which helps you quickly take away important communication and relationship concepts. You can take the chapter's self-assessments to check your understanding of the material, and we've included an Ask the Expert feature that you can use if you have any questions. The chapter is also available on any computer or mobile device, which makes it easy to study at home, school, work or wherever you happen to be.
1. Effects of Life Events & Family Crisis
This lesson looks at how life events and stressors can cause a family crisis. The lesson identifies different types of stress, explores the differences between families who go into crisis and those who don't, and discusses means of overcoming family stress.
2. Dysfunctional Family Dynamics
This lesson explores the topic of dysfunctional family relationships. Characteristics and examples of dysfunctional families are presented, and functional families are discussed in comparison.
3. Family Conflict Resolution Activities
Helping families understand how conflicts work and how to resolve them is an important way of providing support. This lesson offers specific activities for teaching family conflict resolution skills.
4. Threats to Interpersonal Relationships
There are many circumstances that can threaten the relationships we have with others. This lesson will consider how jealousy and other factors can affect interpersonal relationships, and how they can impact the future of those relationships.
5. Family Communication: Styles & Skills
This lesson discusses how families communicate through different modes (open and closed) and means (direct and indirect) means of communication. To improve broken communication, different skills that are needed for open and direct communication are also discussed.
6. Interpersonal Communication: Definition, Characteristics & Types
We communicate. A lot. So, it's important to understand some of the characteristics and types of our styles of communication. Explore interpersonal communication and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
7. How to Build Trust in a Relationship
Trust is essential for any strong relationship, but it's not something that comes natural to us. Through this lesson, you will learn about different types of trust and how to establish and maintain trust in personal and professional relationships.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Family & Consumer Sciences Education Test II (045): Study Guide & Practice course
- The Development of Infants & Toddlers
- The Development of Preschoolers
- The Development of School-Aged Children
- The Development of Adolescents
- The Development of Adults
- Influences on Human Growth & Development
- Developmental Milestones & Abnormalities
- Early Childhood Education Overview
- Family, Interpersonal & Love Relationships
- Beginning the Parenting Process
- Parenting Process
- Family Resources
- Family & Consumer Sciences Careers & Education
- Basic Career Skills
- Education Theories & Assessments
- Factors That Influence Housing Selection
- Home Design Features
- GACE Family & Consumer Sciences Education Test II (045) Flashcards