About This Chapter
Relationships Between Words - Chapter Summary
For an overview of word relationships, take a look at this series of simple English language arts lessons. As you progress through the chapter, you'll review definitions and examples of several word types, such as synonyms, homonyms, aphorisms, idioms and more. By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Teach students about homonyms, antonyms and synonyms
- Recognize examples of proverbs, aphorisms and adages
- Define the concept of an idiom
You can review the lessons on any computer or mobile device. To help you reinforce your understanding of the information, we've included lesson quizzes and a chapter exam. If you have any questions along the way, simple use our convenient online Ask the Expert feature.
1. How to Teach Synonyms, Antonyms & Homonyms
Teaching students to read and write often involves teaching them about how language works in general. This lesson focuses on strategies you can use for teaching synonyms, antonyms, and homonyms.
2. Adages, Proverbs & Aphorisms: Definitions & Examples
In this lesson, we will define adages, proverbs, and aphorisms. We will also look at a few common examples of each of these and discuss their meanings.
3. What is an Idiom? - Definition & Examples
Break a leg! It takes two to tango. In this lesson, we'll learn all about idioms, those colorful figures of speech that play with language and take on a meaning of their own.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ILTS Middle Grades (5-8) Language Arts (201): Study Guide & Practice course
- Illinois Learning Standards
- Foundations of Literacy
- Language Components
- Overview of First & Second Language Acquisition
- Native Language & Second Language Acquisition
- Language Arts Curriculum & Instruction
- Literacy Assessment & Differentiation
- Utilizing Individualized Education Plans (IEPs)
- The Classroom Learning Environment
- Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- Decoding & Fluency Teaching Strategies
- Standard American English Grammar & Usage
- Vocabulary Acquisition & Use
- Language & Reading Comprehension
- Skills for Reading Comprehension
- Reading Comprehension Overview & Instruction
- Literature Analysis & Interpretation
- Analysis of Nonfiction Texts
- Analysis of Media
- Forms of Writing
- Types of Literature Overview
- Types of Performance
- Writing Instruction & Feedback
- Research Writing
- Computer Based Research & Communication
- Basics of Speaking & Listening in the Classroom