About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering relativity and quantum theory material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn relativity and quantum theory. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding relativity and quantum theory
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning physics (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about relativity and quantum theory
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra physics learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Relativity and Quantum Theory in Modern Physics chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Relativity and Quantum Theory in Modern Physics chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any relativity and quantum theory question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a relativity and quantum theory unit of a standard modern physics course. Topics covered include:
- The general and special theories of relativity
- Quantum theory
- The uniqueness of Einstein's special theory of relativity
- The speed of light
1. General Theory of Relativity: Analysis & Practice Problems
After watching this video, you should be able to explain what general relativity is, list a few consequences of the theory, and solve problems involving gravitational time dilation. A short quiz will follow.
2. Theory of Special Relativity: Definition & Equation
This lesson will go through the main postulates of the special theory of relativity and look at a few of the consequences. The principle equations will also be introduced. A short quiz will follow.
3. Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity: Analysis & Practice Problems
After completing this lesson, you should be able to explain what Einstein's special theory of relativity is and use equations from the theory to solve problems. A short quiz will follow.
4. Quantum Theory: Definition & Examples
After watching this lesson you will be able to explain what quantum theory is, including some key principles and scenarios, and list some applications of quantum theory. A short quiz will follow..
5. The Speed of Light: Distance & Light-Years
This lesson will tell you what the speed of light is, what a light year is, what lookback time is, and why it is that we see many objects in space as they were a long time ago.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Physics: Help and Review course
- Introduction to Physics: Help and Review
- Vectors in Physics: Help and Review
- Kinematics in Physics: Help and Review
- Newton's Laws in Physics: Help and Review
- Work, Energy, & Power in Physics: Help and Review
- Linear Momentum in Physics: Help and Review
- Rotational Motion in Physics: Help and Review
- Circular Motion and Gravitation in Physics: Help and Review
- Oscillations in Physics: Help and Review
- Electrical Forces and Fields in Physics: Help and Review
- Potential and Capacitance in Physics: Help and Review
- Direct Current Circuits in Physics: Help and Review
- Magnetism in Physics: Help and Review
- Waves, Sound, and Light: Help and Review
- Atomic and Nuclear Physics: Help and Review
- Fluid Mechanics in Physics: Help and Review
- Thermal Physics & Thermodynamics: Help and Review
- The Universe in Physics: Help and Review
- Physics Lab Experiments: Motion: Help and Review
- Physics Lab Experiments: Matter & Light: Help and Review
- Physics Lab Experiments: Electricity: Help and Review