About This Chapter
Renewable Resources and the Environment - Chapter Summary
Most environmentalists promote the use of renewable resources, as they offer sustainable options to our energy crisis. These lessons go over the most commonly-used forms of renewable energy today, and the lessons explain the science behind each of these renewable resources.
One of the benefits to using our materials as your go-to study guide includes the fact that we cater to your needs. First of all, we never make you wait on us, so you don't have to worry about setting up appointments or ordering study materials. We make everything we offer convenient for you, and we do so by keeping all of our resources online with full access available around the clock. Our platform is also mobile-friendly, so you can view it on practically any Internet-ready device. As you go through this chapter, you will get to learn about the following:
- A definition of solar energy
- Solar thermal electric generation through solar cells on solar panels
- Benefits and disadvantages to biomass
- Pros and cons of using wind energy and hydropower
- Advantages and drawbacks of geothermal energy and tidal energy
- Energy efficiency vs. energy conservation
1. What is Solar Energy? - Definition, Pros & Cons
Learn about solar energy and how charged particles from the sun travel to Earth to provide heat and light. Explore solar energy as a direct and indirect energy source and examine the pros and cons of harvesting solar energy for other uses.
2. What Are Solar Panels? - Photovoltaic Solar Cells and Solar Thermal Electric Generation
How do devices take advantage of the sun's abundant energy? Learn about photovoltaic solar cells and solar thermal electric generation and how these technologies can be used to convert solar energy into heat and electricity.
3. Biomass for Renewable Energy: Pros and Cons
Biomass is organic material that can be used to generate heat, electricity, and even fuel. In this lesson, you will learn about the advantages of this abundant and renewable energy source as well as the disadvantages.
4. Wind Energy: Pros and Cons
Wind energy is a renewable form of energy that involves harnessing the natural energy of the wind. Learn how wind is used to generate electricity and the pros and cons of this energy source.
5. Hydropower: Pros and Cons
Hydropower is power generated from moving water. Learn how this energy from water can be harnessed by hydropower plants to generate electricity as well as the pros and cons of this renewable energy source.
6. Geothermal Energy: Advantages and Disadvantages
Geothermal energy is heat energy that is stored within the earth. Learn the methods being used to tap into this thermal energy to heat buildings and generate electricity as well as the advantages and disadvantages of this renewable energy source.
7. Tidal Energy: Advantages and Disadvantages
The tides move a massive amount of water, and the energy from this moving water, known as tidal energy, can be captured and converted into electricity. Learn how tidal energy works and the advantages and disadvantages of this energy source.
8. Energy Conservation and Energy Efficiency: Examples and Differences
Saving energy is an important topic, but energy conservation and energy efficiency are not the same thing. Learn what the difference is and some examples of both energy conservation and energy efficiency.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Environmental Science 101: Environment and Humanity course
- Introduction to Environmental Science
- Ecosystems and the Effects of Pollution
- Habitats & Ecosystems
- The Evolution of Ecosystems
- Meteorology and the Environment
- Geology and the Environment
- Biological Science
- Causes and Effects of Freshwater Pollution
- The Relationship Between Land and the Environment
- Effects of Population Growth on the Environment
- Environmental Impact of Agriculture
- Solid and Hazardous Waste
- Human Impact on the Environment
- Nonrenewable Resources
- Environmental Sustainability
- Analyzing Environmental Risks
- Impact of Environmental Policy
- Studying for Environmental Science 101