About This Chapter
Representing Rational Numbers & Operations - Chapter Summary
This chapter breaks down the mathematical language of rational number representation. You'll learn about mathematical operations involving different forms of numbers as well as the ins and outs of navigating numerical notation. Topics covered include finding missing factors, solving rational equations, changing between decimals and fractions, and all of the following:
- The relationship between rational number, fraction and decimal notation
- Rational number operations
- Graphing rational numbers within a number line
- Connecting multiplication and division
- Rectangular array
- Comparing rational numbers and putting them in order
If at any point you're feeling lost, you may send your questions to our instructors via the teacher or help tab. You'll be able to test yourself on each lesson's material using practice quizzes that can be taken as many times as you want. And at the end of the chapter, you'll find a practice final exam to help you measure your understanding in a more complete fashion.
1. Notation for Rational Numbers, Fractions & Decimals
How do fractions become decimals? And how do decimals become fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about the notation of rational numbers, fractions and decimals and learn how they're related.
2. Graphing Rational Numbers on a Number Line
Number lines have many uses both in mathematics and everyday life. This lesson will teach you how to graph numbers on a number line and give real-world examples of how to use number lines.
3. The Relationship Between Multiplication & Division
Did you know that you use multiplication and division when you are sharing food, such as cookies? In this lesson, you will learn about how multiplication and division go together.
4. Learning Multiplication Facts to 10 Using Rectangular Array
In this video lesson, you will learn what a rectangular array looks like when it is used to show multiplication. You will also learn how to create your own multiplication array to practice multiplication.
5. Finding the Missing Factor
In this lesson, you'll learn how to find missing factors in multiplication problems using tools you may already have seen such as multiplication charts, factor trees, area models, and division (with a calculator).
6. How to Solve a Rational Equation
A rational equation is one that contains fractions. Yes, we will be finding a common denominator that has 'x's. But no worries! Together we will use a process that will help us solve rational equations every time!
7. Comparing & Ordering Rational Numbers
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to look at any rational number and compare it with any other rational number. Learn what you need to do so that you know which number is greater or lesser than another.
8. Converting Fractions to Percents & Back
After watching this video lesson, you will learn how to turn any fraction into a percent and vice versa. You will learn how they are related and how to write your answers properly.
9. Converting from Percent Notation to Decimal Notation
Knowing how to convert a percent to a decimal can be a useful skill in many different situations. This lesson will show you how to perform that conversion and places where this skill will be helpful.
10. Changing Between Decimals and Fractions
In this video lesson, you will learn about the usefulness of knowing how to change quickly between decimals and fractions. You will also learn how changing from a decimal to a fraction is different than changing from a fraction to a decimal.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Elementary Education - Multiple Subjects (5001): Practice & Study Guide course
- Overview of Phonics Education
- Fluency in Education
- Speaking & Listening
- Words, Phrases & Language
- Elements of Literary Texts
- Informational Texts & Text Complexity
- Overview of Writing Types
- Characteristics of Effective Writing
- Writing Development & Digital Tools
- English Grammar & Grammatical Errors
- Writing Research & Citation
- World Exploration & Colonization
- Road to the American Revolution
- The American Revolution
- Major Events in U.S. History
- 20th Century Developments in the U.S.
- Overview of Government Systems
- Basic Economics
- Historical Documents of the United States
- Principles of American Democracy
- Basics of Human Geography
- Major Contributions of Classical Societies
- 20th Century Developments in World History
- The History of the European Union
- Interpreting History from Different Perspectives
- Place Value System
- Rational Number Operations & Properties
- Proportional Relationships & Percents
- Number Theory & Mathematical Reasoning
- Introduction to Algebraic Expressions
- Solving Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Mathematical Patterns
- Fundamentals of Geometric Figures & Angles
- 2D & 3D Shapes
- Finding Area, Perimeter, Surface Area & Volume
- Coordinate Plane
- Solving Real World Math Problems
- Statistical Concepts
- Measurement and the Metric System
- Data Display Methods
- Circle, Bar & Line Graphs
- Probability Concepts
- Scientific Thinking & Research
- Structure of Matter
- Basics of Forces & Motion
- Work, Power & Energy
- Interactions of Energy & Matter
- Overview of Geomorphology
- Earth & the Solar System
- Earth Patterns, Cycles & Change
- Basic Components of Living Things
- Change in Living Things
- Biodiversity, Adaptation & Classification
- Personal Nutrition & Health Problems
- Praxis Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects Flashcards