About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your review or other MCAT preparation work.
- Identify the reproductive sequence concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our MCAT prep tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to review the reproductive sequence and earn acceptable scores. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding fertilization, embryonic and fetal development, stages of labor or any other reproductive sequence topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their MCAT preparation
- Prefer learning MCAT topics visually
- Find themselves struggling with the reproductive sequence portion of the review
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in their MCAT preparation
- Don't have access to MCAT review materials
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make reviewing the reproductive sequence simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live MCAT prep tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Complete your reproductive sequence review on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Review fertilization and zygote formation.
- Learn about oocyte activation and cell cleavage.
- Explore early embryonic development.
- Examine embryo implantation and placenta formation.
- Find out how the placenta works to keep a fetus nourished and healthy before birth.
- Learn about amniotic fluid, the amnion and the yolk sac.
- Study gastrulation and the three germ layers.
- Review external genital development in males and females.
- Explore fetal development in the first, second and third trimesters.
- Learn about the three stages of labor.
- Find out the role hormones play in labor and delivery.
1. Fertilization and Zygote Formation: Definition and Processes
Follow the male's sperm and the female's egg on their way to meet each other in this lesson that takes you through the process of fertilization in humans. Learn about the obstacles the sperm must get through before it can fertilize the egg.
2. Fertilization: Oocyte Activation & Cell Cleavage
When is the exact moment of fertilization? Learn the answer in this lesson. We'll look at what happens after the sperm penetrates the outer layers of the oocyte during the process of fertilization.
3. Early Embryonic Development: The Morula and Blastula
This lesson on the early stages of mammalian development covers the processes following fertilization, such as cleavage, the morula formation and blastula formation. Watch to learn what the inner cell mass, trophoblast cells and blastocyst are, as well as their functions within embryonic development.
4. Embryo Implantation and Placenta Formation
This lesson will cover the journey the mammalian embryo first makes after it has been fertilized. Learn how maternal blood moves through the embryo, and how the placenta is formed.
5. The Placenta and the Fetus: Structure and Function
Have you ever wondered how a baby eats before it's born or if babies go to the bathroom while still inside their mother? In this lesson, you will learn about the placenta and how it works to ensure a fetus stays well-nourished and healthy before birth.
6. Amniotic Fluid, The Amnion, and the Yolk Sac
From a chick developing inside an egg to a human baby growing in its mother's womb, all developing vertebrates rely on a support system to protect them, feed them, supply them with oxygen, remove wastes, and do much, much more to ensure that the embryo grows and develops into a fully functional organism. In this lesson, you'll learn about the different parts of that support system and some of the things that they do.
7. Gastrulation and the 3 Germ Layers (Ectoderm, Endoderm & Mesoderm)
Gastrulation is a key process in embryonic development - it's how a simple ball of cells begins to grow into a fully functioning being! Watch this lesson to learn about a key process in the development of almost all multicellular organisms.
8. External Genital Development in Males and Females
The developed genitals of a male look much different than the developed genitals of a female. However, they both grow from identical sets of tissues. Learn more about external genital development and find out how and when the tissue changes.
9. Fetal Development in the First Trimester: Stages & Timeline
We all know it takes 9 months for the baby to develop inside the mother's womb, but have you ever thought about how or when all those different organs and systems appear? When does the fetal heart start beating or the brain develop? Find out in this lesson covering the first trimester of pre-natal development.
10. Second Trimester Fetal Development
The growth and development of a baby is an amazingly detailed and complex process. It starts with a ball of cells, which grows all the way to a full grown, eight pound baby in nine months! In this lesson, learn about what happens during the second trimester of pregnancy.
11. Third Trimester Fetal Development
This is it - the last step, the last few months before the birth of a baby! Learn about the changes the developing fetus goes through during the third and final trimester.
12. The Three Stages of Labor: Dilation, Expulsion & Placental
You may think of the process of labor and childbirth as one long event, but it is actually divided into different stages. Learn about each of the three stages of labor in this lesson.
13. Childbirth: The Role of Hormones in Labor and Delivery
How does a mother's body know when it is time to give birth? How does the labor process begin and end? Learn the answers to these questions in this lesson on the hormones involved in childbirth.
14. What is a C-Section? - Procedure, Types & Delivery
Do you know what happens when something goes wrong during the birthing process? You may have heard about C-sections, but do you know why they are performed - or how? Learn about this and more in this lesson on Cesarean sections.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MCAT Prep: Tutoring Solution course
- Introduction to Organic Chemistry for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Enzymes and Metabolism for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- The Transcription and Translation Process for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Nucleic Acids - DNA and RNA for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Processes and Steps of DNA Replication for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Genetic Variation, Control & Reproduction
- Developmental Mechanisms for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Mendelian Concepts for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Genetic Variability & Mutation for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Analytic Methods in Genetics for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Evolution & Natural Selection for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Development of Vertebrates for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Thermochemistry & Thermodynamics for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Kinetics and Equilibrium for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Cell Structure, Functions & Processes
- Eukaryotes for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Prokaryotic Cells for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Fungi for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Virus Structure & Life Cycle for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Cell Biology & Cell Cycle for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Nerve, Muscle & Specialized Cell Types for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Hormones & Mechanisms of Hormone Action for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Structure, Function & Sensory Reception in the Nervous System for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Circulatory System Overview for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Lymphatic System for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Immune System - Innate and Adaptive Systems for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Digestive System Functions & Organs for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Urinary System for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Muscle and Skeletal Systems for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Respiratory System for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Skin System for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Anatomy and Physiology of Male and Female Reproductive Systems for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Translational Motion for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Force, Motion & Gravitation for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Equilibrium and Momentum for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Work and Energy for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Waves for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Principles of Fluids
- Gases for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Electrostatics & Magnetism for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Electronic Circuit Elements for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Electrochemistry for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Sound for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Light & Geometrical Optics for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Atomic Nucleus for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Electronic Structure for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- The Periodic Table for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Stoichiometric Calculations for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Acids and Bases Overview for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Solution Chemistry for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Chemical Bonding for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Phase Equilibria for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Basic Molecular Biology Lab Techniques for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Sensory Processes & Theories
- Human Senses
- Human Attention & Cognition
- States of Human Consciousness
- Characterizing Language Development
- Genetics, Evolution & Environmental Influences on Behavior
- Prenatal Development & Birth
- Principles of Motor Development, Learning & Control
- Development in the Adolescence Years
- Personality Components & Assessment
- Psychological Health & Disorders
- Motivation Types and Sources
- Attitude Types and Theories
- Types of Social Groups & Organizations
- Theories of Deviance & Social Control
- Learning and Conditioning
- Understanding the Self
- Prejudice & Discrimination
- Social Behavior
- Social Structure
- Families, Religions & Schools as Social Institutions
- Political & Economic Systems
- Health and Medicine
- Culture, Socialization & Social Interaction
- Population and Migration
- Sex and Gender Roles
- Social Status
- Principles & Procedures in Scientific Research
- Scientific Basics & Theories
- Analyzing Scientific Data for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution
- Verbal Reasoning for the MCAT: Tutoring Solution