About This Chapter
Reproductive System Medical Terminology - Chapter Summary & Learning Objectives
While you may be aware of plenty of slang terms for reproductive anatomy, that won't help you pass the test or understand what your doctor is talking about when you go in for a physical! These lessons familiarize you with the professional medical terminology of reproductive anatomy and related subjects such as sexually transmitted diseases, reproductive disorders and sexual function. Subject matter experts are only a click away to answer questions that arise as you go through chapters. After completing this chapter, you'll be able to:
- Name the main functions and structures of the male reproductive system
- Detail the vocabulary associated with sperm disorders and disorders of the penis
- Relate information about conditions that can affect the testicles and surrounding structures
- Summarize testing and treatments for disorders of the male genitalia
- Recognize the dozen or so major infections of the genitalia that are transmitted through sexual contact
- Explain types and phases of sexual dysfunction
1. Functions & Structures of the Male Reproductive System
This lesson is going to cover the basic structures and functions that are a part of the male reproductive system. We will look at how these structures work together to allow for semen production and ejaculation.
2. Words Related to Sperm Disorders
Besides the egg, what else do we need for life to begin? Sperm, of course! But sperm can have problems related to shape, motility or number, which can make having a child more difficult.
3. Vocabulary of Disorders of the Penis
Guys, listen up! Your most precious member can have some unfortunate problems. Some of them are super serious. View this lesson to learn more about them, including which, if any, are a medical emergency.
4. Terminology of Conditions Affecting the Testicles & Associated Structures
Ouch! This lesson is all about the testicles, including conditions that can cause them a lot of pain and some that may not cause pain but are still important to know about. Let's define everything from andropause to orchitis!
5. Diagnosing & Treating Male Reproductive Disorders
This lesson is about the diagnostic tests that are available for male reproductive disorders. We will also look at procedures that can be performed on the male reproductive system.
6. Overview of Major Sexually Transmitted Diseases
In this lesson, we will discuss the major sexually transmitted diseases and their causative agents. We will also look at symptoms, vaccines that may be available, and possible cures. Learn how to keep yourself healthy by preventing and correctly treating an STD.
7. What Is a Sexual Dysfunction? - Definition, Phases & Types
What happens when an otherwise healthy adult can't enjoy sex? In this lesson, we'll look at the four phases of sexual activity and sexual dysfunctions that can occur in each phase. In addition, we'll look at some common causes of sexual dysfunction.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Medical Terminology: Help & Review course
- Fundamentals of Medical Terminology
- Basic Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Terminology for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Basics & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary Basics for Genetics, Cells & Structures
- Medical Terms for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Oncology Basics & Terms
- Medical Terminology for the Skeletal System
- Vocabulary for the Muscular System & Its Functions
- Vocabulary for the Cardiovascular System
- Terminology for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Terminology for Diagnosis & Treatment of Respiratory Diseases
- Medical Vocabulary for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathologies
- GI Tract Diagnosis & Treatment Terminology
- Medical Terms for the Urinary System
- Terminology of the Nervous System
- Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions
- Terminology for Diagnostics & Treatments of the Nervous System
- Medical Terms Related to the Eyes
- Medical Terminology Related to the Ears
- Terminology for the Integumentary System
- Terminology for The Endocrine System & Hormones
- Endocrine Gland Disorder Vocabulary
- Pancreatic Disorder Vocabulary
- Adrenal Gland Disorder Terminology
- Female Reproductive System: Medical Terminology
- Medical Terminology for Major Pathogens
- Medical Terminology Used for Diagnosis & Pharmacology