About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering human growth and development material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn about human growth and development. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the research design and data collection methods used in the study of human development
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning social science (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about research methods and the study of human growth and development
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra social science learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Research Methods and the Study of Human Growth and Development chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Research Methods and the Study of Human Growth and Development chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any research methods question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a research methods unit of a standard human growth and development course. Topics covered include:
- Applications of the scientific method in human growth and development research
- The purpose of descriptive statistics in human growth and development research
- Data collection methods for human growth and development research
- Quasi-experimental, case study and correlational research designs
- The importance of understanding research methodology
1. Scientific Method Applications to Human Growth and Development Research
Human growth and development researchers utilize the scientific method as they attempt to explain how a person changes throughout their life. The following lesson will explore this process.
2. Data Collection Methods for Human Growth and Development Research
This lesson will help you understand and differentiate between the methods of data collection that can be used in human growth and development research.
3. The True Experimental Research Design
You need to set up a true experiment to test a hypothesis and demonstrate a cause and effect relationship. This lesson will teach you how this is accomplished and when you are forced to use other research designs.
4. Research Designs: Quasi-Experimental, Case Studies & Correlational Research Designs
The true experiment is not the only way to conduct research. This lesson will help you understand the use of quasi-experimental research designs, case studies, and correlational research.
5. The Importance of Understanding Research Methodology
This lesson will show you why it is necessary to understand the research methods that are used in human growth and development. Learn how interpretation is affected by different research methodologies.
6. The Purpose of Descriptive Statistics in Human Growth and Development Research
How do you make sense of all the data you obtain during research? Knowing the role of descriptive statistics will help you understand how raw data is converted to usable information.
7. Daniel Levinson: Biography & Theory
In this lesson, you will be given a biography of psychologist, Daniel Levinson, a timeline of accomplishments, and an overview of his theory of adult development. Following this lesson will be a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Human Growth and Development: Help and Review course
- Human Growth & Development Theoretical Approaches: Help & Review
- Genetic Influences on Development: Help and Review
- Biological Development: Help and Review
- Sensory and Perceptual Development: Help and Review
- Cognition and Cognitive Development: Help and Review
- Creativity and Intelligence Development: Help and Review
- Language Development: Help and Review
- Social Development: Help and Review
- Social Relationship Development: Help and Review
- Atypical Development: Help and Review