About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other human growth and development work.
- Identify the research methods concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our Human Growth and Development Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about research methods and earn better grades. This resource can help students, including those who:
- Struggle with understanding data collection methods, quasi-experimental and correlational research design, the uses of descriptive statistics or any other research methods topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their social science learning
- Prefer learning social science visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their research methods unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in their human growth and development course
- Don't have access to their social science teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about research methods simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live psychology tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about research methods on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and re-watch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn how to apply the scientific method to human growth and development research.
- Explore data collection methods in the field of human growth and development.
- Discuss different types of experimental research design.
- Explain why it is important to have a firm grasp on research methodology.
- Describe the significance of descriptive statistics in human growth and development research.
1. Scientific Method Applications to Human Growth and Development Research
Human growth and development researchers utilize the scientific method as they attempt to explain how a person changes throughout their life. The following lesson will explore this process.
2. Data Collection Methods for Human Growth and Development Research
This lesson will help you understand and differentiate between the methods of data collection that can be used in human growth and development research.
3. The True Experimental Research Design
You need to set up a true experiment to test a hypothesis and demonstrate a cause and effect relationship. This lesson will teach you how this is accomplished and when you are forced to use other research designs.
4. Research Designs: Quasi-Experimental, Case Studies & Correlational Research Designs
The true experiment is not the only way to conduct research. This lesson will help you understand the use of quasi-experimental research designs, case studies, and correlational research.
5. The Importance of Understanding Research Methodology
This lesson will show you why it is necessary to understand the research methods that are used in human growth and development. Learn how interpretation is affected by different research methodologies.
6. The Purpose of Descriptive Statistics in Human Growth and Development Research
How do you make sense of all the data you obtain during research? Knowing the role of descriptive statistics will help you understand how raw data is converted to usable information.
7. Family Study in Psychology: Examples & Overview
Family studies play an important role in determining how mental disorders will manifest. Learn more about family studies in psychology from examples and test your knowledge with a quiz.
8. Medical Paternalism: Definition & Ethics
Medical paternalism isn't just an old-fashioned approach to medicine; it denies a patient the ability to make informed healthcare decisions. Let's define medical paternalism and explore the ethical implications of this treatment approach.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Human Growth and Development: Tutoring Solution course
- Theoretical Approaches to Human Growth and Development: Tutoring Solution
- Genetic Influences on Development: Tutoring Solution
- Biological Development: Tutoring Solution
- Sensory and Perceptual Development: Tutoring Solution
- Cognition and Cognitive Development: Tutoring Solution
- Creativity and Intelligence Development: Tutoring Solution
- Language Development: Tutoring Solution
- Social Development: Tutoring Solution
- Social Relationship Development: Tutoring Solution
- Atypical Development: Tutoring Solution