About This Chapter
Research Skills for English Language Arts - Chapter Summary
Given the significance of research in the writing a strong essay or research paper, it's important to understand the steps to conducting research and citing your sources. You can go through this chapter to study up on the different research skills you need to know.
These lessons cover the main types of research, as well as their particular methods and the differences between them. You can also learn about types of sources, their legitimacy and the best ways to avoid plagiarism in research writing. Specific topics you can learn about are:
- Primary and secondary research methods
- How to evaluate the credibility of sources
- Using reference material when writing
- How to properly paraphrase sources
- Making in-text citations and works cited pages
- Differences between MLA, APA and Chicago styles
Upon completing different lessons, answer the questions in the practice quizzes to see what you recall on that topic. When you're done with the entire chapter, you can also take the final chapter exam to make sure that you understand the subject as a whole. Make sure that you use your personal Dashboard to track your learning progress as you move through the chapter.
1. Primary & Secondary Research: Definition, Differences & Methods
Differentiating between different types of research articles is useful when looking at what has already been done. In this lesson, we explore some of the different types of research articles out there and when they would be used.
2. Evaluating Sources for Reliability, Credibility, and Worth
It's important to have information that is reliable, credible, and worthwhile in your speech. Sometimes, it's hard to determine these factors. This lesson will help you!
3. How to Use Reference Material in Your Writing
When it comes to writing an essay or a vast array of other academic writing projects, you will often have to refer to the works of others. This video will teach you the skills to use reference materials in your writing.
4. How to Make In-Text Citations
With this lesson, you'll get to know the basics of creating in-text citations. We'll go over both MLA and APA style parenthetical citations and how to use them to cite different types of sources.
5. How to Make a Works Cited Page
You will have to cite your sources properly whenever you borrow words or ideas for a paper. One part of proper citation is the Works Cited page. This lesson shows you how to put one together.
6. What is MLA Format?
MLA format is one of the most common structures for organizing a paper in academic writing. In this video, we will cover the basics of MLA format, focusing on citing within the text and creating a Works Cited page.
7. What is APA Format? - Style & Definition
This is an introduction to the writing style guide and format produced by the American Psychological Association, known as APA style. These style rules are often used for publications in the social sciences.
8. What Is the Chicago Citation Style?
In this video, we cover the basics of the Chicago Manual of Style. This writing format is popular amongst those in the editing field and may be the preferred style of many professors in technical writing, law, and even some English courses.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the American Literature: Help and Review course
- Literary Analysis
- Analysis of American Literature
- Literary Analysis: Help and Review
- Colonial and Early National Period in Literature: Help and Review
- Romantic Period in Literature: Help and Review
- Dark Romantics: Help and Review
- Transcendentalism in Literature: Help and Review
- Realism in Literature: Help and Review
- Modernist Prose and Plays: Help and Review
- Modernist Poetry: Help and Review
- The Harlem Renaissance and Literature: Help and Review
- Literature of the Contemporary Period: Help and Review
- Parts of an Essay: Help & Review