About This Chapter
Researching Nutrition - Chapter Summary
Take a look at these simple nutrition lessons to learn important nutrition research concepts. Our expert instructors will show you how the scientific method can be applied to nutritional studies, and you'll examine the general nutrition research design process. You'll also learn how to find quality sources of nutrition information. The chapter is available at any time of day or night, and you can use any Internet-connected device to study. You can also take the accompanying self-assessment quizzes to check your understanding of these nutritional research topics. Studying this chapter will help you:
- Explain the use of the scientific method in the nutritional field
- Formulate a viable scientific hypothesis
- Understand the design process of nutrition research
- Evaluate types of nutritional research studies
- Locate reliable nutrition information sources
1. Using the Scientific Method in the Nutrition Field
The scientific method is a systematic process that scientists follow to provide reliable nutritional advice to the public. Learn how a hypothesis is formulated and how this leads to the creation of a theory, as well as what makes a study reliable, in this lesson.
2. Formulating a Viable Scientific Hypothesis
Constructing a viable scientific hypothesis involves several different factors. In this lesson, you'll explore what separates a good hypothesis from a bad one and how to identify if your hypothesis has been formulated properly.
3. Nutrition Research: Design Process & Types of Studies
In this lesson, we learn about different kinds of nutritional research used to develop nutritional advice. We will also examine the limitations of each type of research.
4. How to Find Sources of Reliable Nutrition Information
There is a lot of nutritional information available through the Internet and other media outlets, so how do you find reliable sources of nutritional information? Follow along to find out and learn how to protect yourself from false claims.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the UExcel Science of Nutrition: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Understanding Nutrition Basics
- Diet Planning Basics
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Impact of Lipids on Nutrition
- Protein's Role in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals in Nutrition
- Symptoms of Major Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity
- Symptoms of Trace Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity
- The Role of Vitamins in Nutrition
- Gastrointestinal Anatomy and Digestion
- How the Body Handles Nutrients
- Health & Regulation of the GI Tract
- Understanding Cell Anatomy & Metabolism
- Excretion: Urination & Sweat
- Managing the Body's Weight & Energy
- Eating Disorders: Risk to Nutrition
- Role of Physical Fitness in Nutrition
- UExcel Science of Nutrition Flashcards