About This Chapter
Resources for Computer Science Teachers - Chapter Summary
This chapter discusses various strategies and tips for teaching computer science. It also goes over the different types of technologies that can be used, as well as teaching students with special needs. After completing this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Understand the development and instruction of a computer science curriculum
- Provide examples of instructional strategies
- List different types of classroom technologies
- Have a firm grasp of the techniques needed for different learning styles and multiple intelligences
- Recognize the importance of assessment in education
- Be aware of the uses and misuses of assessments in the classroom
The best part about learning about computer sciences is that you don't have to do it from a computer. Study.com is a mobile-friendly site, so you can learn from the comfort of your phone or tablet. The chapter is available at all times of the day, and the convenient dashboard will save your progress so you can return to where you left off.
1. Teaching Computer Science: Strategies & Tips
We've all heard the words computer science, but do we really know what teaching it means? This lesson will bring you up to date on current strategies for teaching computer science and offer some tips of the trade.
2. Computer Science Curriculum: Development & Instruction
In this lesson, we'll take a look at a computer science curriculum, the features of a K-12 computer curriculum and college computer science curriculum, and how the roles and responsibilities of computer science teachers change over time.
3. What are Instructional Strategies? - Types & Examples
This lesson provides examples of different instructional strategies to help students learn, including prior knowledge activation, demonstration, problem-based learning, group collaboration, modeling, and scaffolded instruction.
4. Using Technology in the Classroom
Technology has become much more prevalent and available in the classroom. This lesson will offer some guidelines and strategies for using technology in the classroom.
5. Different Types of Classroom Technology
Technology can broaden the horizons of your students right inside of your classroom. This lesson explores the various types of technology that can be used to liven up everything you teach.
6. Educating Students with Special Needs
In this lesson, we will explore how to educate students with special needs. We will specifically address how the educational needs of these students are best served if they are in a mainstream classroom being taught alongside their peers.
7. Multiple Intelligences & Learning Styles: Teaching Tips
Your classroom is likely to be filled with students who learn in very different ways. This lesson will introduce the concept of multiple intelligences and learning styles and offer tips for teaching students in this way.
8. The Importance of Assessment in Education
Assessment is a critical piece of the learning process. This lesson gives an overview of assessment, why it benefits both teachers and students, and the three most common forms of assessment.
9. Use and Misuse of Assessments in the Classroom
Assessments are excellent tools in the classroom. Used properly, they provide invaluable information about student knowledge and progress. However, if misused, assessments can misrepresent the actual knowledge and learning taking place in the classroom. This lesson will discuss the use and misuse of standardized assessments.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Computer Science K-12 (005): Study Guide & Practice course
- History & Social Impacts of Computer Science
- Hardware & Systems Technology
- Computer Science Systems Software
- Computer Science Application Software
- Basics of Network Systems Technology
- Data, Storage & Algorithms
- Fundamentals of Computer Programming
- Basics of Programming in Java
- FTCE Computer Science K-12 (005) Flashcards