About This Chapter
Respiratory Bacterial Infections - Chapter Summary
If you need a resource that can help you better understand respiratory bacterial infections, you've reached the right place! This chapter offers in-depth analyses of tuberculosis, strep throat, bacterial meningitis and other infections. Explore fun lessons in this chapter as short videos or full transcripts, and test your comprehension of the concepts they cover by taking accompanying quizzes. If you have questions about the lessons, feel free to submit them to our experts. When finished with this chapter, you should be able to:
- Discuss causes, symptoms and treatments of diphtheria
- Share causes and symptoms of pertussis
- Explain the cause of Legionnaires' disease and discuss symptoms and treatment
- Provide details about the diagnosis, treatments and latency of tuberculosis
- Describe the cause, symptoms and treatments of strep throat
- List symptoms and treatments of bacterial meningitis and discuss its transmission
- Detail causes, signs and treatments of bacterial pneumonia
1. What Is Diphtheria? - Cause, Symptoms & Treatments
''Corynebacterium Diphtheriae'' is a bacterium that causes the disease diphtheria. Learn how the ''diphtheriae'' exotoxin is released and explore the signs, treatment, and prevention methods for diphtheria.
2. Pertussis: Cause & Symptoms of Whooping Cough
Pertussis, or whooping cough, is an extremely contagious disease of the respiratory system. Learn about the cause, symptoms, prevention, and treatment of pertussis, explore the damage pertussis does to respiratory cilia, and discover the role Bordetella pertussis played in the Hundred Years' War.
3. Legionnaires' Disease: Cause, Symptoms & Treatment
Legionnaires' disease is a disease that causes severe lung inflammation due to an infection from the Legionella pneumophila bacterium. Learn about the lung disease bacterium, Legionella and amoebae, and the cause, symptoms, prevention, and treatment of this disease.
4. Tuberculosis: Diagnosis, Treatments & Latency
Tuberculosis (TB) is a respiratory disease caused by the bacterium Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Learn about latent and active tuberculosis, how TB is diagnosed, and the treatment of the disease with a combination of antibiotics.
5. Strep Throat: Cause, Symptoms & Treatments
Strep throat, or streptococcal pharyngitis, is the inflammation of the pharynx usually caused by streptococcus pyogenes. Explore the causes and symptoms of strep throat, and learn about the usual treatment of the disease with antibiotics and pain relievers.
6. Bacterial Meningitis: Transmission, Symptoms & Treatments
Although the symptoms of bacterial meningitis may seem like a bad hangover, there could be something much more detrimental going on that could even result in death. Learn about the causes, symptoms, treatments, and measures for preventing the transmission of bacterial meningitis.
7. Bacterial Pneumonia: Causes, Signs & Treatments
Bacterial pneumonia is an inflammatory condition of the lungs caused by different kinds of bacteria. Learn to recognize the signs and symptoms of bacterial pneumonia, discover the different bacteria that cause pneumonia, and explore its diagnosis and treatment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Other chapters within the UExcel Microbiology: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Early History of Microbiology
- Fundamentals of Microbiology
- Microbiology Laboratory Procedures
- Understanding Genetics & DNA
- Understanding Metabolism
- Bacterial Biology
- Understanding Diseases
- Protozoan Diseases
- Understanding Viruses
- Overview of DNA Viruses
- Overview of RNA Viruses
- Overview of Fungal Infections
- Illnesses & Infections of the GI Tract
- Overview of Bacterial STDs
- Understanding Blood-Borne Bacterial Diseases
- Bacterial Skin and Wound Infections
- Immunology Basics
- Structure & Function of the Immune System
- Overview of Antigens
- Disorders of the Immune System
- Serological & Diagnostic Reactions
- Antimicrobial Drugs Overview
- Sterilization & Antiseptic Methods
- Chemical Methods of Microbial Control
- Effectiveness of Antiseptics & Disinfectants
- Microbiology & the Environment
- Food & Industrial Microbiology Overview
- UExcel Microbiology Flashcards