About This Chapter
Responsibilities of Early Childhood Educators - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll start by examining some classroom strategies that promote learning before taking a closer look at the programs associated with early childhood education and their benefits. Our experienced instructors will help you weigh the benefits and drawbacks of day care and point out some common issues that elementary school children in your classroom will face. Video lessons also cover:
- The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
- Culturally responsive teaching strategies
- Special education qualifications
- Section 504 regulations and accommodations
- Individual action plans and their use in the classroom
- Time management
The lessons in this chapter are brief - each takes about 5-6 minutes to watch. They're also flexible, so you can watch them at home or on the go using your mobile device. Instructors utilize fun animations and graphics to help you easily retain critical info. You'll be able to take quizzes after each lesson and a chapter exam to make sure you understand the material.
1. What is Learning? - Understanding Effective Classroom Strategies
We all learn new things every day, but how is 'learning' defined in educational psychology? This lesson covers the definition of learning, different types of learning, and discusses learning styles.
2. Becoming an Effective Teacher
Understanding the principles and theories of educational psychology is essential for teachers but simply understanding is not enough. Future teachers must embrace sound educational principles and seek opportunities for growth throughout their careers. This lesson will focus on the qualities of an effective teacher, including pedagogical content knowledge awareness, reflective teaching and action research.
3. Early Childhood Education: Programs and Benefits
Many children go to preschool or Head Start as part of their early childhood. In this lesson, we'll look at what early childhood education is and two developmental reasons why it can be beneficial: brain development and the zone of proximal development.
4. The Pros & Cons of Day Care: Characteristics & Outcomes
Parents have many options for child care, including sending the child to day care. Watch this video to find out some of the advantages and disadvantages of sending a child to day care.
5. Common Issues with Elementary School Children
While childhood is meant to be a happy time, there are many children for whom it is a time of emotional difficulty. This lesson looks into some challenges that are common to elementary-aged children.
6. Culturally Responsive Teaching (CRT): Theory, Research & Strategies
A person's culture can impact their approach to education and the way they learn. In this lesson, we'll examine culturally responsive teaching, a teaching method that takes into account students' cultures to help them succeed.
7. IDEA: Individuals with Disabilities Education Act - History and Summary
It is important for all teachers to understand the 2004 Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and how it impacts students with disabilities. This lesson discusses the six main principles of IDEA and how they are implemented in the classroom.
8. How Students Qualify for Special Education Services
Understanding how students qualify for special education services can seem like an overwhelming task, but it doesn't have to be. In this video, we will break down the basics of special education qualification in the K-12 public school system.
9. Using an Individual Education Program (IEP) in the Classroom
In this lesson, we will explore what an Individual Education Program (IEP) is and the three key components of an IEP. We will also discuss who needs an IEP and who does not.
10. What Are Section 504 Regulations & Accommodations in Public Schools?
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 is a critical piece of legislation designed to protect individuals with disabilities. In this video, we will explore the components of Section 504 as well as how it impacts school-aged students.
11. What is Time Management? - Definition, Examples & Studies
There are more options today than ever before for ways to spend our time - or waste it! Read on to learn why and how we can better manage our most scarce resource.
12. Time Management & Job Stress
Time management is something we all deal with as our lives get more hectic. In this lesson, we will address time management and the stress it can put on an individual in the workplace.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Early Childhood Education (106): Practice & Study Guide course
- Early Childhood Development
- Developmental Learning Theories
- Factors Affecting Development
- Communication & Language Development
- Literacy Development in Early Childhood
- Literacy Instruction in Early Childhood
- Writing Development in Early Childhood
- Early Childhood Writing Instruction
- The Positive Learning Environment
- Early Childhood Assessment Strategies
- Collaborative Relationships in Early Childhood Education
- Math Foundations & Concepts
- Numbers, Word Problems, & Reasoning in Math
- Foundations for Science Instruction
- Basic Concepts of Earth & Space
- Physical Science Terms & Properties
- Living Organisms & Ecosystems
- Concepts & Tools in Geography
- Studying & Comparing Cultures
- Overview of American History
- Civics & Economics in America
- Creative Instruction Through the Arts
- Childhood Nutrition, Health & Safety
- Physical Education
- MTTC Early Childhood Education Flashcards