About This Chapter
Restaurant Services & Types - Chapter Summary
This collection of lessons outlines the different types of restaurants and services in the hospitality industry. As you go through the chapter, you'll differentiate between common restaurant services and study industry trends related to them. These engaging lessons also cover restaurant training, etiquette and standards, as well as restaurant equipment and supplies.
Each lesson is taught by a subject-matter expert who breaks down essential restaurant definitions, vocabulary and concepts into bite-sized chunks that are easy to understand and remember. You can access these lessons at any time on virtually any computer or mobile device, which allows you to study whenever it's convenient. To make sure you retain the restaurant knowledge you've gained, you can take the included self-assessment quizzes and chapter exam.
How It Helps
Professionals who currently work in the hospitality industry or want to transition into it should have a thorough understanding of the different types or restaurants and services. Knowing the similarities and differences between restaurant types can help aspiring restaurant professionals narrow down which sector of the hospitality industry they want to enter, while understanding service-specific industry trends can give restaurant employees and managers a competitive advantage.
By the end of this chapter, you'll be able to:
- Understand restaurant standards, etiquette and training
- Evaluate different types and styles of restaurants
- Identify the types of equipment and supplies used in restaurant services
- Have an awareness of restaurant cleaning and repair procedures
- Differentiate between full service, quick service, self service and limited service restaurants
- Analyze trends in the quick service and limited service restaurant industries
- Assess table service dining plans
- Know the procedures, steps and plans for fine dining services
- Explain the difference between fine and casual dining services
- Identify trends in restaurant delivery services
- Understand banquet catering management and trends
- Define banquet service types and standards
1. Restaurant Service: Standards, Etiquette & Training
Restaurant service quality is as important to a business as the taste of the food coming from the kitchen. In this lesson, you'll learn more about standards, etiquette, and training for restaurant service.
2. Restaurant Service: Styles & Types
This lesson reviews the various styles and types of restaurants by defining what style and type mean in the restaurant industry. It then provides examples of each style and type.
3. What is a Full Service Restaurant?
This lesson defines what a full-service restaurant is. It also provides examples of the types of full-service restaurants and describes their key characteristics.
4. What is a Quick Service Restaurant?
In this lesson, we will take a look at the defining characteristics and primary competitor of a quick service restaurant, which you probably better know as a fast food restaurant.
5. Quick Service Restaurant Industry: Trends & Analysis
Quick-service restaurants face many challenges, but they also have many opportunities, with new trends in abundance. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the quick-service trends and some of the concerns in the industry.
6. Self Service Restaurant: Definition & Equipment
A self-service restaurant is unique as a style of eating establishment. This lesson will define a self-service restaurant and discuss the kind of equipment necessary for it to operate.
7. What is a Limited Service Restaurant?
This lesson defines and provides examples of limited service restaurants. Additionally, this lesson describes the key characteristics that defines these establishments.
8. Limited Service Restaurant Industry: Analysis & Trends
The limited service restaurant industry is poised for future growth due to a renewed focus on consumers and high-quality ingredients. In this lesson, you'll learn more about this industry and future trends.
9. Table Service Dining Plans
Dining plans are nothing new, but the modern hospitality industry is starting to place a lot of emphasis on table-service options. We'll see what this means and why it's become such a trend.
10. Fine Dining Service: Procedures, Steps & Plan
Thinking about a job in fine dining? Even if you've worked in food service before, you may not be familiar with this distinct environment. In this lesson, you'll learn about the procedures and steps in the fine dinigng industry.
11. Dining Services: Casual vs Fine
Casual and Fine dining offer two different styles and experiences for customers. This lesson will discuss the key characteristics of the two types of restaurants.
12. Trends in Restaurant Delivery Services
This lesson reviews trends in restaurant delivery services and how they have developed over time, thanks to advances in technology and changing customer demands.
13. Banquet Service: Standards, Types & Definition
Banquet service can be as varied as the event you're attending. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the different types of service, as well as industry standards for hosting a successful banquet.
14. Banquet Catering: Management & Trends
This lesson will discuss banquet catering trends focused on meeting customer needs. It will also discuss management styles in the field of banquet catering.
15. Food Service Industry: Definition & History
This lesson describes the food service industry, including its origins and progression over the past several centuries. The growth, innovation, and evolution from classic to modern cuisine are discussed.
16. Food Service Industry: Trends & Analysis
Ostrich burger coming up! The food service industry is changing, and some restaurants are embracing the trends by offering new proteins, such as ostrich. Check out some of the latest trends in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hospitality & Tourism Management Training course
- Hospitality Industry Basics
- Operating in the Hospitality Industry
- Hospitality Management
- The International Hospitality Industry
- Customer Service & Housekeeping
- Menu Planning
- Food Preparation
- Food Storage & Emergency Preparation
- Inventory Control
- Marketing in Hospitality
- Financial Management in Hospitality