About This Chapter
Retail & Customer Service - Chapter Summary
In your role as a retail human resources manager, one of your major functions is ensuring that your employees understand basic topics related to customer service in retail settings. You can use the lessons included in this chapter to educate your employees on essential customer service concepts that they will need in order to maximize performance and sales in the workplace. Topics discussed in these lessons include:
- The techniques and process of retail selling
- The role of retail in marketing
- The definition and overview of chain stores
- The types, trends and examples of non-store retailing
- Employee motivation programs
- Retail sales strategies
Your employees will benefit from the extensive expertise of our lesson instructors, who will clearly and comprehensively explain all relevant concepts in convenient online lessons. Employees can also answer questions in the chapter's practice quizzes and final exam to ensure that they understand some of the lessons' major points.
How It Helps
- Offers techniques: Retail employees can review these lessons to get helpful techniques for improving sales and customer service in retail environments.
- Provides distinctions: These lessons will provide in-depth information on different types of retail environments, the distinctions between them, and their specific customer service needs.
- Defines concepts: Included in these lessons are comprehensive definitions of major concepts needed to understand retail customer service.
Employees can go through these lessons to improve their skills in areas such as:
- Selling and providing customer service in retail environments
- Recognizing different retail environments and their unique sales methods
- Understanding employee motivation and implementing it in their workplaces
- Retaining customers by employing key customer experience management skills
1. What is Retail Selling? - Techniques & Process
The understanding of retail selling is important for any successful salesperson. It is a platform for growth in the sales industry. This lesson explains retail selling techniques and the retail selling process. You can then test your knowledge with a quiz!
2. Retailing's Role in Marketing: Definition and Dimensions
When you start a retail store, there are many things to consider, from the type of service you'll offer to the scale of the business. In this lesson, you will learn about retailing's role in marketing and the different forms retail stores can take.
3. Chain Store: Definition & Overview
Have you ever wondered why you see the same stores no matter where you go? In this lesson, you'll learn about chain stores, including some of their characteristics and advantages. A short quiz follows the lesson.
4. Non-Store Retailing: Types, Trends & Examples
Most individual consumers purchase products through retailers. Physical 'brick and mortar' stores are not the only type of retailing in the marketplace. In this lesson, you'll learn about retailing beyond traditional retail stores.
5. Retail Organizational Structure: Management, Personnel & Training
This lesson will address the organizational structure utilized in retail stores. We will also discuss various management positions, personnel, and training programs that are used in retail stores.
6. Employee Motivation Programs: Incentives and Reward Systems
Every individual is motivated by different things. Money, awards or even just public praise are all parts of motivation. In this lesson, we will dig a little deeper and look at the forms of incentive and rewards programs.
7. Sales Strategies for Retail
Retailers must employ sales strategies to help differentiate themselves from competitors and generate profit. In this lesson, we will discuss how to utilize promotional pricing, how to display items appropriately, how to market products, and how to utilize online retail platforms.
8. Retail Distribution Strategies
Retailers, such as department stores, discount stores and boutiques, sell most consumer products. In this lesson, you'll learn about different retail distribution strategies that manufacturers employ to get their products in front of consumers.
9. Multichannel Retailing: Definition, Benefits & Challenges
This lesson will identify the benefits of multichannel retailing, such as customer loyalty and improved analytics. We will also look at challenges, such as information security and personnel time. Examples of multichannel retailing will be given.
10. What is Customer Experience Management?
Every customer has an experience when they purchase a product or service. How should companies manage and respond to these experiences? This lesson will explain what customer experience management is, including taking a look at its benefits and strategies.
11. What is Customer Loyalty? - Definition & Retention
Customer loyalty can help a business become extremely profitable. This lesson defines customer loyalty and discusses how a company can use various retention techniques to build and maintain loyalty.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.