About This Chapter
Revising & Editing Your Writing- Chapter Summary
The chapter is composed of a series of lessons that are taught by our professional and knowledgeable instructors. In this chapter, you will learn about the importance of editing your writing, which is important if you want to produce well-written papers. Following these lessons, you should have a firm understanding of:
- Editing grammar and misspellings
- Techniques for using syntax in writing
- How to make words and sentences agree
- Importance of placing modifiers in the right place
- Steps for improving sentence structure
- Avoiding common sentence structure errors
- Three ways to identify word use errors
- Proofreading strategies
As long as you have a reliable internet connection, you can access our resources wherever you are. Our video lessons, written transcripts and lesson quizzes are all mobile friendly. You will have the flexibility to study on your home computer or your mobile device. Having this convenience will make your studying experience much easier and suitable for your schedule.
1. Writing Revision: How to Fix Mistakes in Your Writing
Writing is an important skill, but revising your writing is also. In this lesson, learn the basics of self-editing, including editing for content and for mechanics, such as grammar and misspellings.
2. Syntax in Writing: Definition & Examples
Syntax is how a writer puts his words together to create effect and artistry. Learn more about syntax and how authors use it to convey intent and cause impact for their readers.
3. How to Identify Errors in Adjectives, Adverbs, Nouns & Agreement
All sentences must have agreement. But what does that mean? How do you make words agree? Watch this video lesson to learn the answers to all your questions on agreement.
4. Identifying Errors in Agreement for Nouns & Pronouns
Agreement does not just mean sharing the same opinion. In grammar, agreement means so much more. Watch this video lesson to learn how agreement works in our sentences.
5. What Are Misplaced Modifiers and Dangling Modifiers?
I have this recurring nightmare where all my modifiers are misplaced or dangling and everybody's laughing at me. Don't let this happen to you! Learn why modifiers are important and why putting them in the right place is even more so.
6. How to Write Better by Improving Your Sentence Structure
Often times in writing, we know what we want to say, but it doesn't seem to come out right. In this video we will learn the steps needed to improve your writing with better sentence structure.
7. Identifying Errors in Sentence Structure
There are many rules detailing how to build sentences. One mistake can change how a sentence is understood. This lesson discusses how to avoid some common errors in sentence structure.
8. How to Identify Wrong Word Use
Words are constantly being used incorrectly. Not sure if a word you used in your writing is correct? Watch this video lesson to learn three ways to identify errors in word use.
9. How to Proofread an Essay for Spelling and Grammar
Proofreading is the last step in revising an essay - don't skip it! A single typo can sometimes ruin the hard work of an entire paper. This lesson will help you find the right proofreading strategy for you.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Virginia Communication & Literacy Assessment (VCLA): Practice & Study Guide course
- Understanding Meaning of Words & Phrases
- Main Idea & Supporting Details in Written Works
- Analysis & Evaluation of Text
- Summarizing & Analyzing Textual Information
- Writing Knowledge & Proficiency
- Organizing a Written Work
- Grammar and Usage
- Elements of Punctuation & Grammar
- Effective Essay Writing
- Virginia Communication & Literacy Assessment (VCLA) Flashcards