About This Chapter
Rheumatic Fever & Heart Disease - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll find expert instruction on rheumatic fever and heart disease. As you progress through these informative and concise lessons, you'll review information related to rheumatic fever and heart disease symptoms, treatments, modes of transmission, complications and much more. When you're finished with a lesson, try the accompanying self-assessment quiz to make sure you fully understand key terms and concepts. The chapter is available 2/47, and you can use any Internet-connected device to study. When you're finished with the chapter, you'll be able to:
- Recognize the differences between scarlet fever and rheumatic fever
- Differentiate between rheumatic heart disease and rheumatic fever
- Evaluate rheumatic fever pathophysiology and criteria
- Understand how rheumatic fever differs in children and adults
- Assess rheumatic fever's mode of transmission and mechanism of action
- Outline the causes, symptoms and treatment of rheumatic heart disease
- Explain rheumatic heart disease pathophysiology
- Describe the complications and management of rheumatic heart disease during pregnancy
1. Scarlet Fever vs. Rheumatic Fever
Both scarlet and rheumatic fevers are childhood illnesses associated with the group-A strep bacteria. This lesson will explore both scarlet fever and rheumatic fever while focusing on what differs them.
2. Difference Between Rheumatic Fever & Rheumatic Heart Disease
Do you know what rheumatic fever is? What about rheumatic heart disease? Do you know the difference between the two? In this lesson, we will learn just that!
3. What is Rheumatic Fever? - Definition, Pathophysiology & Criteria
Have you ever heard of rheumatic fever? In this lesson, we will learn about rheumatic fever and what it does within the body. We will also learn about the criteria for diagnosis.
4. Rheumatic Fever: Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis & Treatment
What is rheumatic fever? In this lesson, we will learn all about rheumatic fever, which is most common in children between the ages of five and fifteen. We will also learn about what causes it and how to treat it.
5. Rheumatic Fever in Children vs. Adults
What is rheumatic fever and who does it affect? In this lesson, we will learn what rheumatic fever is and what causes it. We will compare how it affects children versus adults.
6. Rheumatic Fever: Mechanism of Action & Mode of Transmission
This lesson briefly defines rheumatic fever. Then you'll learn how this disease, in a way, is transmitted. Finally, you'll learn the pathophysiology behind rheumatic fever.
7. Rheumatic Heart Disease: Definition, Symptoms, Causes & Treatment
In this lesson, we will learn about rheumatic heart disease. We will look at what causes it, what symptoms are associated with it, and how to treat it.
8. Rheumatic Heart Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis & Complications
Rheumatic heart disease is more prominent in children and young adults. It is a disease caused by other ailments that then affect the heart. This lesson will discuss the pathophysiology, diagnosis, and complications of rheumatic heart disease.
9. Rheumatic Heart Disease During Pregnancy: Complications & Management
Rheumatic heart disease is damage to the heart caused by rheumatic fever that can lead to serious complications during pregnancy. Continue reading to learn all about the complications and management of rheumatic heart disease during pregnancy.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Basic Nursing Training course
- Diabetes Insipidus
- Diet Plans for Diabetes
- Surgical Procedures
- Treating Bites & Stings
- Identifying & Treating Bone Issues
- Treating Cystitis
- Weight-Related Issues
- Understanding & Treating Fistula
- Patella Injuries & Issues
- Types & Application of Casts
- Types & Application of Splints
- Understanding & Treating Hernias
- Understanding & Treating Sciatica
- Understanding Joints & Joint Issues
- Understanding & Treating Hepatitis
- Understanding Occupational Disease
- Treating Occupational Disease
- Diseases of the Central Nervous System
- Digestive & Intestinal Diseases