About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering right triangle proofs will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn right triangle proofs. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the properties of right triangle and their proofs
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about right triangle proofs
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Right Triangle Proofs chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Right Triangle Proofs chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any complex numbers question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a right triangle proofs unit of a standard college algebra course. Topics covered include:
- Types and properties of special right triangles
- Pythagorean Theorem
- HA Theorem
- LL and LA Theorems
- Properties of right triangles
1. Properties of Right Triangles: Theorems & Proofs
In this lesson, you will learn about the properties of and theorems associated with right triangles, which have a wide range of applications in math and science. Specifically, we will discuss and prove the Pythagorean theorem and the right triangle altitude theorem. Let's get started.
2. Special Right Triangles: Types and Properties
Not all right triangles are the same. In this lesson, we'll look at two special right triangles (30-60-90 and 45-45-90) that have unique properties to help you quickly and easily solve certain triangle problems.
3. The Pythagorean Theorem: Practice and Application
The Pythagorean theorem is one of the most famous geometric theorems. Written by the Greek mathematician Pythagoras, this theorem makes it possible to find a missing side length of a right triangle. Learn more about the famous theorem here and test your understanding with a quiz.
4. The Pythagorean Theorem: Converse and Special Cases
The Pythagorean Theorem is a famous theorem for right triangles. Watch this video to learn how the Pythagorean Theorem relates to the law of cosines and how the converse of the Pythagorean Theorem can help you identify right triangles.
5. The HA (Hypotenuse Angle) Theorem: Proof, Explanation, & Examples
In this lesson, we'll learn about the hypotenuse angle theorem. With this theorem, we can prove two right triangles are congruent with just congruent hypotenuses and acute angles.
6. The HL (Hypotenuse Leg) Theorem: Definition, Proof, & Examples
In this lesson, we'll learn about the hypotenuse leg theorem. This theorem enables us to prove two right triangles are congruent based on just two sides.
7. Congruency of Right Triangles: Definition of LA and LL Theorems
In this lesson, we'll learn two theorems that help us prove when two right triangles are congruent to one another. The LA theorem, or leg-acute, and LL theorem, or leg-leg, are useful shortcuts for proving congruence.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.