About This Chapter
Risk Management for Sexual Harassment - Chapter Summary
Instructors teaching these lessons outline the EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) guidelines and policy measures used to mitigate the occurrence of sexual harassment. Topics of discussion include:
- Sexual harassment policy development
- Procedures for responding to sexual harassment complaints
- Sexual harassment preventative and corrective measures
- The EEOC sexual harassment complaint process
- Sexual harassment litigation defense
Video lessons and transcripts describe each of these topics in a way that makes them easy for supervisors to implement. Short quizzes are also included to help you affirm your employees' comprehension of these risk management concepts.
How It Helps
- Builds understanding: This chapter can familiarize supervisors with EEOC policies and regulations outlining employers' responsibilities and legal liabilities as they relate to sexual harassment.
- Increases compliance: Supervisors armed with this knowledge can protect themselves and your company's employees by implementing a sexual harassment policy that includes preventive measures and clearly outlines the steps to be taken when investigating and following up on a sexual harassment complaint.
- Guards against potential legal damages: A solid understanding of EEOC guidelines can also be used to mount an affirmative defense in the event of a sexual harassment lawsuit.
By the end of this chapter, supervisors will be able to:
- Outline a sexual harassment policy's main components
- Explain the steps in an internal company complaint process
- Describe preventative and corrective sexual harassment measures
- Outline the components of an affirmative defense in a sexual harassment lawsuit
1. Developing a Sexual Harassment Policy
Prevention of sexual harassment requires a sound foundation. A well-developed sexual harassment policy provides such a foundation for prevention. In this lesson, you'll learn about key components for such policies.
2. Implementing an Internal Sexual Harassment Complaints Procedure
A sexual harassment policy isn't worth the paper it's printed on if there is not a mechanism to enforce it. In this lesson, you'll learn some key components of implementing a sexual harassment complaint procedure.
3. Preventative & Corrective Measures for Supervisor Harassment
Sometimes the best sexual harassment policies cannot stop sexual harassment. However, what they can do is to take appropriate corrective and preventative measures when it does occur. In this lesson, you'll learn how this can be done.
4. The EEOC Sexual Harassment Complaint Process
Employees have a right to file a charge of harassment or discrimination with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. In this lesson, you'll learn about the complaint process and possible results. A short quiz follows.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.