About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering microbiology material will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better grades. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding Ebola, Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), West Nile Virus or any other viral-based illnesses.
- Need an efficient way to learn about RNA viruses.
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools.
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD.
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers.
- Missed class time and need to catch up.
- Can't access extra science learning resources at school.
How it works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
- Verify you're ready by completing the RNA Viruses chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the RNA Viruses chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any relevant question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answers to questions including:
- What are some the early symptoms of SARS?
- How is the Ebola Virus transmitted?
- Why are some patients with early-stage HIV asymptomatic?
- What medical conditions are associated with the West Nile Virus?
- What types of viruses causes measles, mumps, polio and stomach flus?
- How do people get rabies, and how is it treated?
1. Lassa Virus and Bloody Fever: Arenaviridae Structure, Disease, and Transmission
In this lesson, we'll delve into the Arenaviridae virus family, where we will explore all sorts of odd sounding names like the Lujo virus, Lassa virus, lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus and plenty more!
2. Gastrointestinal Infection by the Astroviridae Virus Family
This lesson will focus on something more commonly known as the stomach flu, its more technical name, and how it is spread. We'll also delve into some of the ways we can prevent the stomach flu from affecting us. Find out more as we look into viral gastroenteritis, chlorination, and serotypes.
3. Californian Brain Inflammation: Bunyaviridae Structure, Transmission, and Disease
Find out how dangerous mosquitoes and rats can be as we take a look at several viruses they carry that cause everything from encephalitis to shortness of breath. We'll explore Rift Valley Fever, California Encephalitis, Hantavirus and La Crosse Encephalitis.
4. The Stomach Flu & Viruses of the Caliciviridae Virus Family
In this lesson, you'll learn about the most common cause of the stomach flu. We'll venture into the Caliciviridae virus family, its famous viruses, such as the Norwalk virus, as well as the diseases they cause.
5. SARS: Diseases and Viruses of the Coronaviridae Virus Family
This lesson will delve into two of the most important members of the Coronaviridae virus family. One of the viruses in this family caused a worldwide panic not too long ago, through a condition called SARS, and the other one is causing a panic right now, through a condition called MERS.
6. The Ebola Virus and other Deadly Filoviridae Viruses
This lesson will delve into some exotic, but utterly deadly diseases attributed to viruses of the Filoviridae family. Find out what terrible things they cause, as we explore the Ebola virus, the Marburg virus, petechiae, and ecchymoses.
7. West Nile Virus, Yellow Fever, and Hepatitis C: The Flaviviridae Virus Family
This lesson will delve into some well-known diseases, and the viruses that cause them. We'll take a look at the West Nile virus, dengue fever, yellow fever, hepatitis C, and something called icterus.
8. The Orthomyxoviridae Virus Family: Influenza, Flu Shots, and More
When it's cold season, you'd be smart to get a flu shot. This lesson will delve into influenza pandemics, epidemics, the bird flu, the swine flu, hemagglutinin, neuraminidase, and much more as we explore the members of the Orthomyxoviridae virus family.
9. Measles and Mumps: Disease of the Paramyxoviridae Virus Family
This lesson will teach you about the viruses of the Paramyxoviridae family and the diseases they cause. We'll delve into measles, mumps, human parainfluenza, and the respiratory syncytial virus.
10. Polio, Foot and Mouth Disease, and Hepatitis A: The Picornaviridae Virus Family
Learn about some of the most famous diseases known to humankind in this lesson, including the common cold, polio, foot and mouth disease, and hepatitis A among others, as we explore the Picornaviridae virus family.
11. The Reoviridae Virus Family: Structure, Transmission, and Disease
In this lesson, we'll delve into the number one cause of severe diarrhea in children, a weird-sounding disease called bluetongue disease, and something known as the Colorado tick fever virus as we explore the viruses and disease of the Reoviridae virus family.
12. HIV and AIDS: Mechanisms and Diseases of the Retroviridae Virus Family
Learn about one of the most famous viruses in the world: HIV. We'll also delve into a condition you've almost certainly heard of: AIDS. Finally, we'll discuss the mechanisms of how viruses in this family cause so much damage and if there's anything you can do about it.
13. Treatment Methodologies for HIV
This lesson will delve into the basics of HIV therapy. You will learn about cocktails, protease inhibitors and reverse transcriptase inhibitors, as well as how they work and how they are used.
14. Rabies and Fear of Water: Diseases of the Rhabdoviridae Virus Family
Learn about why some people are afraid of water when they are infected by a virus. This and much more will be covered in this lesson on the Rhabdoviridae virus family, its structure and its mode of transmission.
15. Rubella and German Measles: Diseases of the Togaviridae Virus Family
In this lesson, you will learn about German measles, rubella, and three closely related viruses called Eastern equine encephalitis, Western equine encephalitis, and Venezuelan equine encephalitis, as well as their serious consequences.
16. Other RNA Virus Families of Importance
This lesson will cover an important historical discovery in the history of viruses, hepatitis E, and how RNA viruses can affect your dinner plate. We'll explore the Birnaviridae, Hepeviridae, and Virgaviridae virus families.
17. Viroid: Definition & Structure
Let's delve into the mystery of the viroid by exploring what makes this particle so distinctive. Discover more about the viroid by learning about its structure, pathogenic abilities, and possible origins.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Microbiology: Help and Review course
- Biology Basics for Microbiology: Help and Review
- Microbiology Basics: Help and Review
- Bacterial Biology: Help and Review
- Microbiology Laboratory Techniques: Help and Review
- Microorganisms and the Environment: Help and Review
- The Disease Process: Help and Review
- Introduction to Viruses: Help and Review
- DNA Viruses: Help and Review
- Protozoan Diseases: Help and Review
- Fungal Infections: Help and Review
- Gastrointestinal Tract Illnesses & Infections: Help & Review
- Sexually Transmitted Bacterial Diseases: Help and Review
- Bloodborne Bacterial Diseases: Help and Review
- Bacterial Diseases of the Respiratory Tract: Help and Review
- Bacterial Skin and Wound Infections: Help and Review
- Immunology And the Body's Defenses Against Pathogens: Help and Review
- Antimicrobial Drugs: Help and Review
- Food and Industrial Microbiology: Help and Review
- Sterilization and Antiseptic Techniques: Help and Review