About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the RNA Viruses chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Arenaviridae, Astroviridae and Bunyaviridae virus families||Meningitis, hemorrhagic fever, Lassa virus and Lujo virus; viral gastroenteritis, chlorination and serotypes; Rift Valley fever, California encephalitis virus and La Crosse encephalitis virus|
|Tuesday||Caliciviridae, Coronaviridae and Filoviridae virus families||Stomach flu, Norovirus, Norwalk virus and calicivirus; SAR and MERS; Ebola virus and Marburg virus|
|Wednesday||Flaviviridae, Orthomyxoviridae and Paramyxoviridae virus families||West Nile virus, Dengue fever, Yellow fever and hepatitis C; influenza, bird flu, viral subtypes and flu shots; measles, mumps, human parainfluenza and respiratory syncytial virus|
|Thursday||Picornaviridae, Reoviridae and Retroviridae virus families||Polio, foot and mouth disease, rhinovirus and hepatitis A; rotavirus, bluetongue virus and Colorado tick fever virus; HIV and AIDS; treatment methodologies for HIV, reverse transcriptase inhibitors, protease inhibitors and antiretroviral therapy|
|Friday||Rhabdoviridae, Togaviridae and other important virus families||Rabies and hydrophobia; Equine encephalitis, Rubella and German measles; Birnaviridae family, Hepeviridae family(Hepatitis E) and Virgaviridae family|
1. Lassa Virus and Bloody Fever: Arenaviridae Structure, Disease, and Transmission
In this lesson, we'll delve into the Arenaviridae virus family, where we will explore all sorts of odd sounding names like the Lujo virus, Lassa virus, lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus and plenty more!
2. Gastrointestinal Infection by the Astroviridae Virus Family
This lesson will focus on something more commonly known as the stomach flu, its more technical name, and how it is spread. We'll also delve into some of the ways we can prevent the stomach flu from affecting us. Find out more as we look into viral gastroenteritis, chlorination, and serotypes.
3. Californian Brain Inflammation: Bunyaviridae Structure, Transmission, and Disease
Find out how dangerous mosquitoes and rats can be as we take a look at several viruses they carry that cause everything from encephalitis to shortness of breath. We'll explore Rift Valley Fever, California Encephalitis, Hantavirus and La Crosse Encephalitis.
4. The Stomach Flu & Viruses of the Caliciviridae Virus Family
In this lesson, you'll learn about the most common cause of the stomach flu. We'll venture into the Caliciviridae virus family, its famous viruses, such as the Norwalk virus, as well as the diseases they cause.
5. SARS: Diseases and Viruses of the Coronaviridae Virus Family
This lesson will delve into two of the most important members of the Coronaviridae virus family. One of the viruses in this family caused a worldwide panic not too long ago, through a condition called SARS, and the other one is causing a panic right now, through a condition called MERS.
6. The Ebola Virus and other Deadly Filoviridae Viruses
This lesson will delve into some exotic, but utterly deadly diseases attributed to viruses of the Filoviridae family. Find out what terrible things they cause, as we explore the Ebola virus, the Marburg virus, petechiae, and ecchymoses.
7. West Nile Virus, Yellow Fever, and Hepatitis C: The Flaviviridae Virus Family
This lesson will delve into some well-known diseases, and the viruses that cause them. We'll take a look at the West Nile virus, dengue fever, yellow fever, hepatitis C, and something called icterus.
8. The Orthomyxoviridae Virus Family: Influenza, Flu Shots, and More
When it's cold season, you'd be smart to get a flu shot. This lesson will delve into influenza pandemics, epidemics, the bird flu, the swine flu, hemagglutinin, neuraminidase, and much more as we explore the members of the Orthomyxoviridae virus family.
9. Measles and Mumps: Disease of the Paramyxoviridae Virus Family
This lesson will teach you about the viruses of the Paramyxoviridae family and the diseases they cause. We'll delve into measles, mumps, human parainfluenza, and the respiratory syncytial virus.
10. Polio, Foot and Mouth Disease, and Hepatitis A: The Picornaviridae Virus Family
Learn about some of the most famous diseases known to humankind in this lesson, including the common cold, polio, foot and mouth disease, and hepatitis A among others, as we explore the Picornaviridae virus family.
11. The Reoviridae Virus Family: Structure, Transmission, and Disease
In this lesson, we'll delve into the number one cause of severe diarrhea in children, a weird-sounding disease called bluetongue disease, and something known as the Colorado tick fever virus as we explore the viruses and disease of the Reoviridae virus family.
12. HIV and AIDS: Mechanisms and Diseases of the Retroviridae Virus Family
Learn about one of the most famous viruses in the world: HIV. We'll also delve into a condition you've almost certainly heard of: AIDS. Finally, we'll discuss the mechanisms of how viruses in this family cause so much damage and if there's anything you can do about it.
13. Treatment Methodologies for HIV
This lesson will delve into the basics of HIV therapy. You will learn about cocktails, protease inhibitors and reverse transcriptase inhibitors, as well as how they work and how they are used.
14. Rabies and Fear of Water: Diseases of the Rhabdoviridae Virus Family
Learn about why some people are afraid of water when they are infected by a virus. This and much more will be covered in this lesson on the Rhabdoviridae virus family, its structure and its mode of transmission.
15. Rubella and German Measles: Diseases of the Togaviridae Virus Family
In this lesson, you will learn about German measles, rubella, and three closely related viruses called Eastern equine encephalitis, Western equine encephalitis, and Venezuelan equine encephalitis, as well as their serious consequences.
16. Other RNA Virus Families of Importance
This lesson will cover an important historical discovery in the history of viruses, hepatitis E, and how RNA viruses can affect your dinner plate. We'll explore the Birnaviridae, Hepeviridae, and Virgaviridae virus families.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Microbiology Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Biology Review: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Microbiology Basics Lesson Plans
- Bacterial Cell Biology Lesson Plans
- Microbiology Laboratory Techniques Lesson Plans
- Microorganisms & the Environment Lesson Plans
- The Disease Process Lesson Plans
- Protozoan Diseases Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Viruses: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- DNA Viruses: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Fungal Infections: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Foodborne Illnesses & Bacterial Infections - Gastrointestinal Tract Lesson Plans
- Sexually Transmitted Bacterial Diseases: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Blood-borne Bacterial Diseases: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Bacterial Diseases of the Respiratory Tract: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Bacterial Skin and Wound Infections: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Immunology And the Body's Defenses Against Pathogens: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Antimicrobial Drugs: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Food and Industrial Microbiology: Microbiology Lesson Plans
- Sterilization & Antiseptic Techniques: Microbiology Lesson Plans