About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other microbiology work.
- Identify the RNA viruses concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our college microbiology tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about RNA viruses and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding the structure and transmission of RNA viruses, treatment methods, related diseases or any other RNA viruses topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their biology learning
- Prefer learning biology visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their RNA viruses unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in microbiology
- Don't have access to their biology teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about RNA viruses simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live microbiology tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about RNA viruses on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn which diseases are associated with the Arenaviridae family and describe how these diseases are transmitted.
- Describe the gastrointestinal infections caused by the Astroviridae family.
- Explain how Californian brain inflammation is transmitted.
- Name the illnesses associated with the Calciviridae family.
- List the diseases caused by the Coronaviridae family.
- Discuss the deadly diseases caused by the Filoviridae family.
- Describe the diseases caused by Flaviviridae viruses.
- Name the diseases associated with the Orthomyxoviridae family.
- Learn which diseases are caused by Paramyxoviridae viruses.
- Explore the treatment methodologies for HIV.
- Take a look at other important RNA virus families.
1. Lassa Virus and Bloody Fever: Arenaviridae Structure, Disease, and Transmission
In this lesson, we'll delve into the Arenaviridae virus family, where we will explore all sorts of odd sounding names like the Lujo virus, Lassa virus, lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus and plenty more!
2. Gastrointestinal Infection by the Astroviridae Virus Family
This lesson will focus on something more commonly known as the stomach flu, its more technical name, and how it is spread. We'll also delve into some of the ways we can prevent the stomach flu from affecting us. Find out more as we look into viral gastroenteritis, chlorination, and serotypes.
3. Californian Brain Inflammation: Bunyaviridae Structure, Transmission, and Disease
Find out how dangerous mosquitoes and rats can be as we take a look at several viruses they carry that cause everything from encephalitis to shortness of breath. We'll explore Rift Valley Fever, California Encephalitis, Hantavirus and La Crosse Encephalitis.
4. The Stomach Flu & Viruses of the Caliciviridae Virus Family
In this lesson, you'll learn about the most common cause of the stomach flu. We'll venture into the Caliciviridae virus family, its famous viruses, such as the Norwalk virus, as well as the diseases they cause.
5. SARS: Diseases and Viruses of the Coronaviridae Virus Family
This lesson will delve into two of the most important members of the Coronaviridae virus family. One of the viruses in this family caused a worldwide panic not too long ago, through a condition called SARS, and the other one is causing a panic right now, through a condition called MERS.
6. The Ebola Virus and other Deadly Filoviridae Viruses
This lesson will delve into some exotic, but utterly deadly diseases attributed to viruses of the Filoviridae family. Find out what terrible things they cause, as we explore the Ebola virus, the Marburg virus, petechiae, and ecchymoses.
7. West Nile Virus, Yellow Fever, and Hepatitis C: The Flaviviridae Virus Family
This lesson will delve into some well-known diseases, and the viruses that cause them. We'll take a look at the West Nile virus, dengue fever, yellow fever, hepatitis C, and something called icterus.
8. The Orthomyxoviridae Virus Family: Influenza, Flu Shots, and More
When it's cold season, you'd be smart to get a flu shot. This lesson will delve into influenza pandemics, epidemics, the bird flu, the swine flu, hemagglutinin, neuraminidase, and much more as we explore the members of the Orthomyxoviridae virus family.
9. Measles and Mumps: Disease of the Paramyxoviridae Virus Family
This lesson will teach you about the viruses of the Paramyxoviridae family and the diseases they cause. We'll delve into measles, mumps, human parainfluenza, and the respiratory syncytial virus.
10. Polio, Foot and Mouth Disease, and Hepatitis A: The Picornaviridae Virus Family
Learn about some of the most famous diseases known to humankind in this lesson, including the common cold, polio, foot and mouth disease, and hepatitis A among others, as we explore the Picornaviridae virus family.
11. The Reoviridae Virus Family: Structure, Transmission, and Disease
In this lesson, we'll delve into the number one cause of severe diarrhea in children, a weird-sounding disease called bluetongue disease, and something known as the Colorado tick fever virus as we explore the viruses and disease of the Reoviridae virus family.
12. HIV and AIDS: Mechanisms and Diseases of the Retroviridae Virus Family
Learn about one of the most famous viruses in the world: HIV. We'll also delve into a condition you've almost certainly heard of: AIDS. Finally, we'll discuss the mechanisms of how viruses in this family cause so much damage and if there's anything you can do about it.
13. Treatment Methodologies for HIV
This lesson will delve into the basics of HIV therapy. You will learn about cocktails, protease inhibitors and reverse transcriptase inhibitors, as well as how they work and how they are used.
14. Rabies and Fear of Water: Diseases of the Rhabdoviridae Virus Family
Learn about why some people are afraid of water when they are infected by a virus. This and much more will be covered in this lesson on the Rhabdoviridae virus family, its structure and its mode of transmission.
15. Rubella and German Measles: Diseases of the Togaviridae Virus Family
In this lesson, you will learn about German measles, rubella, and three closely related viruses called Eastern equine encephalitis, Western equine encephalitis, and Venezuelan equine encephalitis, as well as their serious consequences.
16. Other RNA Virus Families of Importance
This lesson will cover an important historical discovery in the history of viruses, hepatitis E, and how RNA viruses can affect your dinner plate. We'll explore the Birnaviridae, Hepeviridae, and Virgaviridae virus families.
17. Protease Inhibitor: Definition, Application & Uses
You may have heard of protease inhibitors as a treatment for HIV. But what is a protease and why does inhibiting it treat HIV? These questions are addressed in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Microbiology: Tutoring Solution course
- Biology Review for Microbiology: Tutoring Solution
- Microbiology Basics: Tutoring Solution
- Bacterial Biology: Tutoring Solution
- Microbiology Laboratory Techniques: Tutoring Solution
- Microorganisms and the Environment: Tutoring Solution
- The Disease Process: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Viruses in Microbiology: Tutoring Solution
- DNA Viruses: Tutoring Solution
- Protozoan Diseases: Tutoring Solution
- Fungal Infections: Tutoring Solution
- Foodborne Illnesses & Bacterial Infections: Tutoring Solution
- Sexually Transmitted Bacterial Diseases: Tutoring Solution
- Bloodborne Bacterial Diseases: Tutoring Solution
- Bacterial Diseases of the Respiratory Tract: Tutoring Solution
- Bacterial Skin and Wound Infections: Tutoring Solution
- Immunology And the Body's Defenses Against Pathogens: Tutoring Solution
- Antimicrobial Drugs: Tutoring Solution
- Food and Industrial Microbiology: Tutoring Solution
- Sterilization and Antiseptic Techniques: Tutoring Solution