About This Chapter
Robbery, Theft, Burglary & Property Crimes - Chapter Summary
In this criminal justice chapter, you can explore the basics of property, burglary and robbery crimes. You'll receive expert instruction on statistics, laws and consequences surrounding crimes like petty theft, larceny motor vehicle theft and home invasion. When you're finished with a lesson, try the accompanying self-assessment quiz to reinforce your understanding of the material. The chapter concludes with a comprehensive exam, and our instructors are available to answer any questions you may have. For your convenience, we've made the chapter accessible on any device that has an Internet connection. Completing the chapter can help you:
- Interpret property crime, burglary and home invasion statistics
- Assess theft laws and punishments
- Identify the consequences of petty theft
- Compare different types of larceny
- Evaluate motor vehicle theft laws
- Discuss crimes against property cases
1. Property Crime: Definition, Types & Statistics
In this lesson, learn what constitutes property crime. You'll come to understand the definition, examine the types of property crime, and review some property crime statistics.
2. Robbery: Definition & Statistics
The term robbery conjures up images of a group of masked men storming into the bank with guns blazing. In reality, robbery includes any crime in which a suspect uses force or threats to remove property from a victim.
3. What Is Theft? - Definition, Laws & Punishment
This lesson will teach you what is considered theft. You will examine laws on theft, find out the difference between petty and grand theft, as well as read about consequent punishments.
4. What is Petty Theft? - Definition, Consequences & Law
In this lesson, we learn about petty theft, a type of crime that is defined by the value of the property that has been stolen. We also study potential consequences and illustrative state law.
5. What Is Larceny? - Definition, Types & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn about the crime of larceny. You'll also review and examine the various types of larceny and learn how the value of the larceny action impacts the consequence of the crime.
6. Motor Vehicle Theft: Definition, Statistics & Law
In this lesson, motor vehicle theft will be defined, some statistics on motor vehicle theft will be offered and a few of the laws surrounding this type of theft crime will be analyzed.
7. Burglary: Definition, Degrees & Statistics
Learn the definition of burglary, examine the various degrees of this crime and look at some recent burglary statistics. At the conclusion of the lesson, you'll have a thorough understanding of what constitutes burglary.
8. What Is a Home Invasion? - Definition, Statistics & Law
This lesson will teach you about home invasions. You'll review the definition of a home invasion and examine home invasion statistics. You'll also hear about some relevant laws.
9. Crimes Against Property: Definition, Cases & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about crimes against property. We will look at what these crimes are, what they mean and take a closer look at some specific examples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Criminal Justice 107: Criminal Law course
- Criminal Law: Purposes, Scope & Sources
- Understanding the Types of Jurisdiction
- Essential Elements of a Crime
- Criminal Liability Types
- Justification & Excuse Defenses
- Substantive & Procedural Law
- Punishment & Sentencing in Criminal Law
- Legal Overview of Homicide
- Sexual Offenses & Offenders Overview
- Assault & Battery Overview
- False Imprisonment & Kidnapping
- White, Blue & Green-Collar Crime