About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering college earth science material will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better grades. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding rock deformation or working with the processes of mountain building.
- Need an efficient way to learn about rock deformation and mountain building.
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools.
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD.
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers.
- Missed class time and need to catch up.
- Can't access extra science learning resources at school.
How it works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Rock Deformation and Mountain Building chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Rock Deformation and Mountain Building chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any relevant question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answers to questions including:
- What are the different causes and types of rock deformation?
- What are the different causes and types of geological faults and folds?
- What are the different types of mountains, and how do they form?
1. Rock Deformation: Causes and Types
In this video lesson, you will learn about how rock can be deformed from stress and the effect this has on the rock. You will identify different types of deformation based on the composition of the rock as well as external stress factors.
2. Geological Folds: Definition, Causes & Types
Under the right conditions and over millions of years, rock can be deformed so that it is folded into a different shape. In this video lesson, you will identify different types of folds as well as what causes them to occur in rock.
3. Geological Faults: Definition, Causes & Types
In this video lesson, you will identify different faults and the types of stress that cause them. You will also see examples of the effects these faults have on the landscape.
4. The Processes of Mountain Building
In this video lesson, you will learn about the process of mountain building. You will identify different ways that mountains form, as well as the different types of mountains that result from this process.
5. Strike-Slip Fault: Definition & Example
Have you ever experienced an earthquake? It can be a terrifying thing to be a part of, and if you've been shaken up by one before, you might blame the strike-slip fault.
6. Mountain Ranges in India: Names & Regions
In this lesson you'll be learning about the major mountain ranges of India, including the Himalayas, Karakoram, Eastern Ghats, Western Ghats, and Aravalli Range. In this lesson, we'll cover some basic facts about each mountain range and where they are located.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the College Earth Science: Help and Review course
- Earth Science Basics: Help and Review
- Geologic Time: Help and Review
- Properties of Matter: Help and Review
- Earth's Spheres and Internal Structure: Help and Review
- Plate Tectonics: Help and Review
- Minerals and Rocks: Help and Review
- Igneous Rocks: Help and Review
- Volcanoes: Help and Review
- Weathering and Erosion: Help and Review
- Sedimentary Rocks - A Deeper Look: Help and Review
- Metamorphic Rocks - A Deeper Look: Help and Review
- Water Balance: Help and Review
- Running Water: Help and Review
- Ground Water: Help and Review
- Glaciers: Help and Review
- Oceans: Help and Review
- Coastal Hazards: Help and Review
- The Atmosphere: Help and Review
- Weather and Storms: Help and Review
- Earthquakes: Help and Review
- Earth History: Help and Review
- Energy Resources: Help and Review