About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other earth science work.
- Identify the rock deformation and mountain building concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our earth science tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about rock deformation and mountain building and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding rock deformation causes, geological folds, tensional and compressional faults, island arcs, volcanic arcs or any other rock deformation and mountain building topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their earth science learning
- Prefer learning earth science visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their rock deformation and mountain building unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in earth science
- Don't have access to their earth science teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about rock deformation and mountain building simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live earth science tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about rock deformation and mountain building on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Discuss the causes and types of rock deformation.
- Describe the causes and types of geologic folds.
- Identify the causes and types of geologic faults.
- Understand the process of mountain building.
1. Rock Deformation: Causes and Types
In this video lesson, you will learn about how rock can be deformed from stress and the effect this has on the rock. You will identify different types of deformation based on the composition of the rock as well as external stress factors.
2. Geological Folds: Definition, Causes & Types
Under the right conditions and over millions of years, rock can be deformed so that it is folded into a different shape. In this video lesson, you will identify different types of folds as well as what causes them to occur in rock.
3. Geological Faults: Definition, Causes & Types
In this video lesson, you will identify different faults and the types of stress that cause them. You will also see examples of the effects these faults have on the landscape.
4. The Processes of Mountain Building
In this video lesson, you will learn about the process of mountain building. You will identify different ways that mountains form, as well as the different types of mountains that result from this process.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Earth Science: Tutoring Solution course
- Earth Science Basics: Tutoring Solution
- Geologic Time and Earth Science: Tutoring Solution
- Properties of Matter: Tutoring Solution
- Earth's Spheres and Internal Structure: Tutoring Solution
- Plate Tectonics: Tutoring Solution
- Minerals and Rocks: Tutoring Solution
- Igneous Rocks: Tutoring Solution
- Volcanoes: Tutoring Solution
- Weathering and Erosion: Tutoring Solution
- Sedimentary Rocks - A Deeper Look: Tutoring Solution
- Metamorphic Rocks - A Deeper Look: Tutoring Solution
- Water Balance: Tutoring Solution
- Running Water: Tutoring Solution
- Ground Water: Tutoring Solution
- Glaciers: Tutoring Solution
- Oceans: Tutoring Solution
- Coastal Hazards: Tutoring Solution
- The Atmosphere: Tutoring Solution
- Weather and Storms: Tutoring Solution
- Earthquakes: Tutoring Solution
- Earth History: Tutoring Solution
- Energy Resources: Tutoring Solution