About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Rock Deformation & Mountains chapter into a 4-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Rock deformation||How rocks deform due to stress, types of rock deformation based on rock composition, external stress factors|
|Tuesday||Geological folds||Different types of geological folds, what causes rocks to fold into different shapes|
|Wednesday||Geological faults||Identify types of geological faults, types of stress that cause faults, effects geological faults have on the landscape|
|Thursday||Processes of mountain building||Examine different ways that mountains form and the different types of mountains that result from the building process|
1. Rock Deformation: Causes and Types
In this video lesson, you will learn about how rock can be deformed from stress and the effect this has on the rock. You will identify different types of deformation based on the composition of the rock as well as external stress factors.
2. Geological Folds: Definition, Causes & Types
Under the right conditions and over millions of years, rock can be deformed so that it is folded into a different shape. In this video lesson, you will identify different types of folds as well as what causes them to occur in rock.
3. Geological Faults: Definition, Causes & Types
In this video lesson, you will identify different faults and the types of stress that cause them. You will also see examples of the effects these faults have on the landscape.
4. The Processes of Mountain Building
In this video lesson, you will learn about the process of mountain building. You will identify different ways that mountains form, as well as the different types of mountains that result from this process.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Middle School Earth Science Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Earth's Spheres & Structure Lesson Plans
- Understanding Plate Tectonics Lesson Plans
- Understanding Earthquakes Lesson Plans
- Understanding Volcanoes Lesson Plans
- Shaping the Earth's Surface Lesson Plans
- Thermal Energy Lesson Plans
- Energy in the Earth System Lesson Plans
- Ecology & Ecosystems Lesson Plans
- Earth's Energy Resources Lesson Plans
- Earth's Material Resources Lesson Plans
- Earth Science Investigation & Experimentation Lesson Plans