About This Chapter
Rocks, Minerals & Soil Overview - Chapter Summary
This interesting chapter provides an overview of rocks, soil and minerals for you to review. Our short lessons outline the rock cycle, minerals, weathering and much more. Once you complete this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Outline metamorphic, igneous and sedimentary rocks
- Identify the three major rock groups
- Discuss the properties and types of minerals
- Differentiate between rocks and minerals
- Explain the effects deposition and erosion have on landforms
- Provide an explanation and definition of weathering
- Detail the structure of soil and its different types
- Describe the process associated with runoff and infiltration
Our professionally designed learning materials include concise video and text lessons and multiple-choice quizzes that make great test prep tools. Watch an entire video lesson as a review, or use the video tabs feature to watch only one portion of the video. The printable lesson transcripts provided here make handy offline study guides. You can easily track your progress as you work the chapter in the Dashboard.
1. Rock Cycle: Igneous, Sedimentary, and Metamorphic Rocks
In this lesson, we will discuss the three main types of rocks and how they are formed. The lesson also gives an introduction into how matter locked in rocks can be cycled through the earth.
2. Types of Rocks: The Three Major Rock Groups
Did you know that lava is molten rock that reaches the earth's surface? Furthermore, did you know that rocks exist in three general forms: igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic? This lesson describes these rock types and examples of each.
3. What Are Minerals? - Types, Properties & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about minerals and their properties. You will also understand the importance and everyday use of different types of minerals found on Earth.
4. Rocks and Minerals: Definitions and Differences
Can you tell the difference between a rock and a mineral? What makes a mineral so much different from a rock? Explore these questions in depth, and learn how we classify rocks and minerals.
5. Effect of Erosion and Deposition on Landforms
Landforms are constantly being broken down and reformed by the processes of weathering, erosion, and deposition. In this lesson, we explore chemical and physical weathering and how the face of the earth gets changed.
6. Weathering: Definition & Explanation
Discover how rocks and minerals are broken down by chemical and mechanical forms of weathering. Learn about some of the many geological formations created by weathering, from large caves to beautiful arches made of rock.
7. What is Soil? - Definition, Structure & Types
Soil is the material found on the surface of the earth that is composed of organic and inorganic material. Soil varies due to its structure and composition. Learn about the different types of soil and soil structures in this video lesson.
8. Runoff & Infiltration: Definition & Process
When water falls to the ground as precipitation, it can either fill the spaces in the soil below ground or run across the surface. In this video lesson, you will learn about the processes of infiltration and runoff, and how they are an important part of the water cycle on Earth.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE Special Education Mathematics & Science (088): Practice & Study Guide course
- Working with Real Numbers
- Fractions, Decimals, Percents & Ratios
- Understanding Number Theory & Estimation
- Overview of Basic Algebra
- Patterns & Sequences in Algebra
- Characteristics & Relationships of Functions
- Solving Basic Geometric Problems
- Points, Lines, Rays & Angles
- Solving Angle Problems with Triangles & Quadrilaterals
- Geometric Relationships in the Coordinate Plane
- Solving Problems Involving Systems of Measurement
- Displaying & Interpreting Data
- Measures of Central Tendency
- Statistical Models & Processes
- Understanding Probability, Combinations & Permutations
- Scientific Inquiry & Design
- Nature of Scientific Knowledge
- Major Developments & Historical Figures in Science
- Collecting & Evaluating Scientific Data
- Science Laboratory & Field Equipment Safety
- Environmental Effects of Science & Technology
- Energy Production & Natural Resource Management
- Science & Technology in Consumer Products
- Atoms, Energy & Matter
- Concepts & Relationships Between Energy & Matter
- Basics of the Periodic Table
- Chemical Compounds & Reactions
- Acid-Base Chemistry
- Solutions & Solubility
- Concepts of Mechanics Overview
- Electricity & Magnetism Overview
- Waves & Optics Overview
- Structure & Function of Cells & Organelles
- Basic Biochemistry of Life
- Basic Genetics
- Evolution, Natural Selection & Biological Diversity
- Hierarchical Classification of Living Things
- Understanding Plant Structures & Function
- Animal & Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Population Dynamics & Ecology
- Earth's Structure, Shape & Processes
- Historical Geology
- Understanding the Earth's Oceans
- Freshwater Characteristics & Processes
- Atmosphere & Weather
- Climate, Seasons & Geography
- Exploring Features of the Solar System
- Earth-Moon-Sun System
- GACE Special Education Mathematics & Science Flashcards