About This Chapter
Role of HR in Business Management & Strategy - Chapter Summary
This chapter dissects the various roles HR can play in business management and strategy. You'll study the composition of an HR department as well as how it can interact with other areas of a business. Topics covered include external factors impacting HRM, the role of HR in organizational branding, developing an HR budget, as well as all of the following:
- The definition, objectives and responsibility of HR
- Building relationships between HR and other departments
- Aligning organizational strategy with HRM
- Considering technical tools and and systems in HR management
- The part played by HR in social and environmental responsibility
- Creating organizational HR strategy and practices
- Objectives of partnering with individuals and organizations
- Key performance indicators
- HR managers
Using the dashboard feature, you can keep tabs on your progress through the material and recent activity. Before you leave, you can also check out practice quizzes and additional courses recommended based off your studies. And if at any point you feel stuck, you can always ask questions of our professional instructors using the 'teacher' or 'help' tab.
1. Human Resource Management: Definition, Objectives & Responsibilities
Human resource management is an essential function of both private and public sector organizations. In this lesson, you'll learn what human resource management is, as well as its objectives and responsibilities in an organization.
2. The Internal Structure of an HR Department
Human resource management serves a vitally important function in most organizations. In this lesson, you'll learn how an organization may structure its human resource management functions within the organization.
3. Relationship Building Between HR & Organization Departments
Building relationships takes work - at home or on the job. In this lesson, you'll learn more about the importance of building relationships between human resources and other organizational departments.
4. External Factors Impacting HRM
Businesses don't operate in a bubble and neither does human resource management. In this lesson, you'll learn about some important external factors that impact human resource management. A short quiz follows the lesson.
5. Aligning HRM and Organizational Strategy
Successful businesses have a strategic vision and know how to implement it. In this lesson, you'll learn how human resource management (HRM) can align its organizational functions with the overall strategy of its organization.
6. Role of HR in Social & Environmental Responsibility
This lesson will describe the role that human resources (HR) plays in helping an organization to achieve corporate social responsibility (CSR) and sustainability goals.
7. Establishing Organizational HR Strategy & Best Practices
This lesson concentrates on establishing a human resources strategy within an organization. It outlines the link between the human resources strategy and the company's strategy and provides best practices for developing a human resources strategy.
8. The Role of HR in Organizational Branding
This lesson focuses on the role that human resources can play in organization branding. It will walk you through the organizational branding process and demonstrate the relationship between employer brand and the overall company brand.
9. Developing & Maintaining an HR Budget
The budgeting process for human resources is key to the strategy of the department. Identifying expenses and possible risk scenarios and economic conditions helps the HR department fit into the overall company's budget success.
10. Goals of Partnerships with Individuals & Organizations
Developing partnerships in the workplace can seem like a difficult process, and getting started is sometimes the most challenging part. But with a little persistence, sustainable partnerships with individuals and organizations could last a lifetime.
11. Key Performance Indicators (KPI) in HR
This lessons discusses key performance indicators that can be used by human resources (HR). We'll explore how HR key performance indicators can help mold an organization into a successful and cost-efficient business.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SPHR Certification Exam Study Guide - Senior Professional in Human Resources course
- Role of HR in Organizational Policies & Procedures
- Role of HR in Change Management
- Human Resource Workforce Planning
- Human Resources Role in Employment
- Role of HR in Employee Development
- Organizational Development Theories
- The Global Workplace
- Role of HR in Employee Compensation & Benefits
- HR's Role in Employee & Labor Relations
- Risk Management in the Workplace
- SPHR Certification Exam Study Guide - Senior Professional in Human Resources Flashcards