About This Chapter
Role of HR in Employee Development- Chapter Summary
In this chapter is an in-depth look at the role of HR in employee development, which is perfect if you want to focus on learning more about HR. The lessons that you will find in this chapter make reviewing the material and studying a fun process. Upon completion of this chapter, you will be ready to understand the following information:
- Development of human resources
- Training needs for businesses
- Benefits of employee training
- Types of employee training
- Career management
- Performance appraisals
- Process of performance management
- How HR helps employees
- HR coaching
- Succession planning
- International companies
- Metrics of training programs
You have the ability to tailor the resources in this chapter to your unique needs and habits. There are videos and transcripts depending on your style of learning. In addition, these resources are mobile friendly. You can study on-the-go or in the comfort of your home, whatever is convenient for you. Having these flexibilities allows you to cater to your learning preferences and maximize your study time.
1. Assessing Training Needs of an Organization
This lesson discusses the process of assessing the training needs of an organization, which begins with looking at what is presently being done there and comparing that to what needs to be done. New training plans can then be put into place, making it possible for managers to solve problems.
2. What Is Employee Training? - Benefits, Effects & Importance
In this lesson we will review several aspects of employee training. We will discover the value and benefits of employee training, as well as review the different types of employee training and key issues in providing training in the workplace. Finally, we will discuss ways managers can support training in the workplace.
3. Types of Employee Training Programs
There are several types of employee training programs. Employees may receive basic literacy training, interpersonal skills training, technical training, problem-solving training and diversity or sensitivity training. Each type of training targets a different facet of an organization's overall culture and performance.
4. What Is Career Management and Development? - Definition and Purpose
Companies can invest in both their managers and employees through career management and development systems. These programs offer counseling, planning and workshops to help employees manage their careers.
5. Performance Appraisals: Benefits and Challenges
Many companies use performance appraisals to assess the performance of their employees. While performance appraisals provide some notable benefits, they are not without challenges. In this lesson, we'll explore these benefits and challenges.
6. Performance Management: Definition & Process
In this lesson, learn the definition and the five steps involved in performance management. As a manager or employee, understanding the process can be important to success in the work place.
7. Role of HR in Meeting the Needs of Employees
This lesson discusses considerations an HR department must make in creating programs that meet the needs of its employees, such as diversity programs, remuneration packages and telecommuting. Read on to learn more.
8. HR Coaching: Effectively Managing Organizational Talent
Talent management is an important process of an organization that can create a competitive advantage. This lesson will define talent management and explain how human resources (HR) can help coach managers to effectively manage talent.
9. Role of HR in Succession Planning
This lesson reviews how human resource managers can create succession plans within an organization. The lesson also explains how human resource managers promote the development of future leaders within an organization.
10. Managing in International Companies
Managing in international companies takes a special type of person. The reason for that is that not only do managers have to have an understanding of how to conduct business, but they also must deal with several other factors that are present in the international arena.
11. Training Programs: Evaluation Techniques & Metrics
Almost as important as training itself, evaluation of training courses provide insight into the success and retention of information of a training session. Several evaluation techniques should be utilized and they should be compared to measurable metrics.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SPHR Certification Exam Study Guide - Senior Professional in Human Resources course
- Role of HR in Business Management & Strategy
- Role of HR in Organizational Policies & Procedures
- Role of HR in Change Management
- Human Resource Workforce Planning
- Human Resources Role in Employment
- Organizational Development Theories
- The Global Workplace
- Role of HR in Employee Compensation & Benefits
- HR's Role in Employee & Labor Relations
- Risk Management in the Workplace
- SPHR Certification Exam Study Guide - Senior Professional in Human Resources Flashcards