About This Chapter
Role of HR in Organization Policies & Procedures- Chapter Summary
These lessons will provide you valuable information about the role HR plans in organization policies and procedures. The lessons will cover the following material:
- HR policies
- Establishing policies
- Hiring employees
- Avoiding business crime
- Ethical issues in HR
- Data confidentiality
- Employee confidentiality
- Harassment complaint privacy
- Business data analysis
- Environment of HR management
- Cost-benefit analysis
When going through this chapter, you have the chance to read lesson transcripts or view video lessons. Both of these resources are the same, just different ways to learn, tailored to your learning style and preferences. A short quiz follows each of these resources to test you for the retention and mastery of the material. If you struggle with the material, reach out to our instructors, who are happy to answer any questions you might have.
1. HR Policies: Legal & Industry Regulations
Many different things influence HR policies in organizations. In this lesson, we'll take a look at some of the ways that legal and industry regulations can affect policy.
2. Establishing & Communicating Human Resource Policies
Employment-related policies and procedures can vary drastically from company to company, and establishing a clear set of policies can be critical to everyone's success. This lesson reviews the process of developing and communicating human resources policies, and the importance of doing so.
3. Hiring Employees: Federal & State Laws on Documentation
Form I-9, Form W4, additional tax withholding paperwork... there are many required forms for a new hire to complete when they start work. This lesson reviews the mandatory documentation that a job candidate must complete in order to be legally employed.
4. Deterring Business Crime: RICO, False Claims Act, & Sarbanes-Oxley Act
There are three acts that deter corporations from committing crimes that affect customers, shareholders and employees: RICO Act, False Claims Act and Sarbanes-Oxley Act. Each act protects against various crimes, but all of the acts hold businesses accountable for their actions.
5. Ethical Issues in HR: Definition & Importance
Unethical behavior from a business can create problems with regulators and have adverse effects on a company's bottom line. In this lesson, you'll learn about ethical issues relevant to HR and the importance of ethical organizational behavior.
6. Organizational Data Confidentiality: Importance & Rules
Learn about the importance of organizational data confidentiality and the rules that apply to data in the workplace, including employee records, company data, and individual data.
7. Understanding Employee Confidentiality & Privacy Rules
In this lesson, we will look at general employee confidentiality and privacy rules, as well as federal guidelines and laws that apply to confidentiality and privacy in the workplace.
8. Ensuring Privacy in the Harassment Complaint Process
One of the most important requirements of a sexual harassment policy is a confidential complaint process. In this lesson, you'll learn why privacy is important and how to help accomplish it. A short quiz follows.
9. Analyzing Business Data: Tools & Methods
In this modern world of Big Data, analysis is the key for businesses to keep a competitive edge. This lesson will discuss tools and methods used to analyze business data.
10. Role of HR Managers in Strategic Vendor Selection
In this lesson, we'll define vendor. Then we'll explore the benefits of partnering with a vendor and the steps human resource managers should use in the vendor selection process.
11. Understanding & Using Cost-Benefit Analysis
This lesson will introduce the concepts, advantages, and disadvantages of cost-benefit analysis. Although the cost-benefit analysis is an excellent tool, we shall see that not all costs and benefits can easily be assigned monetary values.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SPHR Certification Exam Study Guide - Senior Professional in Human Resources course
- Role of HR in Business Management & Strategy
- Role of HR in Change Management
- Human Resource Workforce Planning
- Human Resources Role in Employment
- Role of HR in Employee Development
- Organizational Development Theories
- The Global Workplace
- Role of HR in Employee Compensation & Benefits
- HR's Role in Employee & Labor Relations
- Risk Management in the Workplace
- SPHR Certification Exam Study Guide - Senior Professional in Human Resources Flashcards