About This Chapter
Role of Parents & the Community in Reading Instruction - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons look at how families and the community can foster literacy development. Our instructors will examine parenting styles and how they impact different types of learners. You'll look at how families can encourage reading and participate in school reading programs. Another lesson focuses on increasing community involvement in the schools. After watching these lessons, you should be able to:
- Understand how parenting styles influence different styles of learners
- Explain how families can encourage literacy at home
- Help parents participate in school literacy programs
- Conduct efficient parent-teacher conferences
- Promote community partnerships with the schools
These short video and text lessons, taught by expert instructors, are available anytime on your computer or mobile device. You can assess your knowledge through lesson and chapter quizzes and identify key concepts and terms through the transcripts that accompany each lesson. A printable worksheet lets you review these topics when you're offline.
1. Impact of Parenting Styles on Different Styles of Learners
When you got in trouble as a child, how did your parents react? This lesson covers four different parenting styles identified in educational psychology, including authoritarian, authoritative, indulgent, and neglecting. Typical results from each parenting style are discussed in terms of children's behaviors, as well as application of the styles in a classroom environment.
2. How Families Foster Literacy at Home
In this lesson, we''ll examine the ways that parents and families can foster emergent and developing literacy skills within the home. Discover techniques and tools for evaluation, and then test your understanding with a brief quiz.
3. How Parents Participate in School Literacy Programs
Teaching literacy skills is one of the most important parts of early education, but to be truly successful teachers need to get parents involved. In this lesson, explore common techniques to improve parent involvement and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
4. Parent Teacher Conference Tips
'It takes a village to raise a child.' Although many know this to be an old African proverb, research has shown that student achievement increases when parents and teachers work together. This lesson will explore the importance of the parent-teacher conference when it comes to student success.
5. Promoting Community Involvement in Schools
School districts are often at the physical center of their neighborhoods. Parents expect their schools to educate and care for their children, while offering the best of where they live, so it's a perfect marriage when the extended community is involved in the life and needs of the school.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PLACE Reading Teacher: Practice & Study Guide course
- Foundations of Reading
- Language & Reading Development
- Emergent Literacy
- Teaching Vocabulary
- Learning Through Context
- Analyzing Content While Reading
- Fostering Strategic Readers
- Reading Process Models & Theories
- Instructional Strategies for Literacy
- Interrelationships in Language Arts
- Impacts on Reading Instruction
- Teaching Diverse Learners to Read
- Reading Assessment & Evaluation
- Using Data to Monitor Progress in Reading
- Selecting Reading Materials & Resources
- Role of the Reading Professional
- Managing the Classroom
- PLACE Reading Teacher Flashcards