About This Chapter
Roles & Responsibilities of the Guidance Counselor - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our expert instructors help you review the different types of guidance counselors, important counselor qualities, and education and certification requirements. You will examine the responsibilities of a guidance counselor and the various roles they may be called upon to perform. The chapter also includes a look at ethical and legal issues faced by school counselors. Watching our videos should help you prepare to:
- Describe education, licensing and certification of school guidance counselors
- List benefits of professional organization membership for school counselors
- Explain the role of counselors as educational leaders
- State how counselors can act as consultants
- Analyze development of a school counseling programs
- Explore effective ways to keep students in school
- Understand rights of minors
You can review these lessons anytime and anywhere you have a few minutes and access to a computer or mobile device. Use the quizzes that accompany the lessons to assess your knowledge and determine the areas in which you might need additional study.
1. Counseling as a Profession: Types of Counselors
Who is considered a counselor? What distinguishes various professional counselors from one another? Is there a difference between paraprofessionals and non-professionals? Learn the answers to these questions and more in this lesson on counseling.
2. Personal Qualities of an Effective Counselor
This lesson will introduce the positive and negative motivators for becoming a counselor. We will also look at some of the characteristics of an effective counselor and some essential microskills counselors must possess.
3. Education and Competencies of a Professional Counselor
Professional counselors must obtain a satisfactory education with experiences that prepare them to practice on their own. This lesson is an overview of the education, licensure, and continued competency of a typical counselor.
4. The Importance of Ethics in Counseling
In this lesson, we will be looking at the ethical issues a new counselor should be familiar with and prepared to handle. These issues include things breaching confidentiality and financial issues.
5. Counselor Licensing and Certification Requirements
Have you wondered about licensure or certification as a counselor? Are you curious about the difference between them? In this lesson, we will be looking at licensure and certification, what the differences and similarities are, and the requirements.
6. Benefits of Joining Professional Organizations for Counselors
Counselors are valuable professionals and serve as important resources for communities, whether working in schools, community centers or private practices. This lesson will discuss the benefits of joining a professional organization for counselors.
7. The Role of the School Guidance Counselor
School guidance counselors are essential parts of the education system. This lesson will discuss the role of school guidance counselors and the important contributions they make.
8. How School Counselors Function as Leaders
School counselors are vital members of the educational leadership team. This lesson will discuss how school counselors function as leaders and will end with a quiz to test what you have learned.
9. How School Counselors Act as Advocates
School counselors work on behalf of students and families as advocates. This lesson will explore this role of advocacy and will end with a brief quiz to test what you have learned.
10. Providing Consultation as a School Counselor
School counselors are essential members of the educational staff in schools. This lesson will explore the ways school counselors provide consultation. We will end with a short quiz to see what you have learned.
11. Developing a School Counseling Program
School counseling programs provide powerful resources for students and families. This lesson will discuss the necessary steps for developing a school counseling program. The lesson will end with a short quiz to test what you have learned.
12. Assisting Students During Educational Transitions
A primary responsibility of school counselors is assisting students through educational transitions. This lesson will discuss this aspect of school counseling and will end with a quiz to see what you have learned.
13. Supporting Student Retention & Matriculation as a Counselor
School counselors are essential for student success. This lesson will discuss how school counselors support student retention and matriculation and will end with a short quiz.
14. Legal Issues in Counseling
In this lesson, we will be looking at the legal issues in counseling. We will be discussing the importance of credentialing, what the client's rights are regarding their records, privileged communication, duty to report child abuse, and duty to warn.
15. Civil and Criminal Liability and the Rights of Minors in Counseling
In this lesson, we will learn about legal issues counselors need to consider when going into practice, such as general information on civil and criminal liability, malpractice, expert and lay witnesses, premature termination, and the rights of minors.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GACE School Counseling (603): Practice & Study Guide course
- Educational & Counseling Foundations
- Counseling Theories & Models
- Individual & Group Counseling
- Human Development Topics
- Human Development Issues
- Crisis Intervention Purpose & Theories
- Comprehensive School Counseling Programs
- Curriculum Development & Delivery
- Learning Assessments
- Diversity & Equality Issues in School Counseling
- Strategies for Diverse Learning Environments
- College Counseling Tools
- Career Counseling Tools
- Program Evaluation for School Counselors
- GACE School Counseling Flashcards