About This Chapter
Roles & Responsibilities of the Library Media Specialist - Chapter Summary
The bite-sized lessons in this chapter make it easy to understand the roles and responsibilities of the library media specialist. Study the ways these specialists act as advocates, leaders and partners. Also, examine how individuals in this career can develop and grow professionally. By the end of this chapter, you will have the knowledge to do the following:
- Describe the role of a library media specialist
- Explain how library media specialists serve as collaborative partners
- Discuss the role a library media specialist plays in curriculum development
- Share the leadership responsibilities of a library media specialist
- Detail ways library media specialists act as advocates inside and outside of schools
- Provide ways library media specialists can grow and develop professionally
All lessons in this chapter are available around-the-clock via any computer or internet-accessible mobile device, enabling you to study when and where your schedule permits. Choose the lessons you feel will help you best understand the roles and responsibilities of the library media specialist, and visit them as often as needed. Multiple-choice quizzes and a practice exam can check your knowledge of the lessons. Use the Dashboard to track your progress through this chapter and submit lesson topic questions to our experts.
1. The Role of Library Media Specialists
A library media specialist plays an important role in the education community. This lesson describes the roles and responsibilities of a library media specialist, and outlines qualifications and working conditions.
2. Library Media Specialists as Collaborative Partners
This lesson would benefit anyone looking for information on the role of the library media specialist as a collaborative partner with other educators, and how they can also promote effective principles of teaching and learning.
3. Library Media Specialists & Curriculum Development
This lesson would benefit those looking for information on the role of the library media specialists in curriculum development. Included in this lesson are strategies library media teachers can use to collaborate with others to develop curricula.
4. The Leadership Role of Library Media Specialists
Library media specialists have a unique role in the district as a leader. They provide training and tools for using information resources and attaining digital literacy, and serve as a valuable resource for both teachers and students.
5. The Role of Library Media Specialists as Advocates
As a school library media specialist, one of your jobs is advocating for your program in the broader community. This lesson discusses the different ways a library media specialist can work as an advocate.
6. Professional Growth for Library Media Specialists
Library media specialists play a valuable role in school districts and many are emerging as leaders in K-12 schools. Learn how to take advantage of leadership and professional growth opportunities.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - School Library Media Specialist (041): Practice & Study Guide course
- Roles of the Library Media Program
- School Library Communication & Collaboration
- Planning & Evaluating Library Media Programs
- Developing & Managing the School Library Environment
- Strategies for Promoting Literacy to Students
- Methods & Materials for Information Literacy Skills
- Children's & Young Adult Literature
- Resources & Services for Diverse Student Groups
- Instructional Strategies for School Libraries
- Assessment & Data for School Librarians
- Management of Library Resources
- OAE School Library Media Specialist Flashcards