About This Chapter
Romanesque Art During the Middle Ages in Europe - Chapter Summary
If you're looking for a high-level overview of Romanesque art from Europe's Middle Ages, you're in the right place! This convenient online chapter contains short and simple video lessons that dive into Romanesque churches, paintings, sculptures, tapestries and much more. You can submit questions to our expert art history instructors if you need any extra help, and the chapter's online format allows you to study any time that's convenient. You can also take the self-assessment quizzes to help you remember important Romanesque art terms and techniques. When you're finished with the chapter, you'll be able to:
- Evaluate the history and characteristics of Romanesque art and architecture
- Identify regional variations in Romanesque churches and figural arts
- Assess the role of paintings and sculptures in Romanesque churches
- Explain how Romanesque art and architecture was influenced by monastic orders
- Describe the Stavelot triptych
- Assess the techniques that were used to create the Bayeux tapestry
1. Romanesque Art: History, Characteristics & Style
This lesson covers the explosion of Romanesque art in the 11th century. We briefly explore the causes behind this movement. Then we look at the two most notable forms of Romanesque art: sculptural decoration and stained glass windows. Finally, we examine the emergence of medieval secular art.
2. Regional Variations in Romanesque Figural Arts & Churches
The Romanesque style was highly regionalized. In this lesson, we are going to explore some of the different ways that this style was used across Medieval Europe.
3. Romanesque Architecture: Characteristics, Examples & History
In this lesson we fly through the various characteristics of Romanesque architecture: the semicircular arch, various sorts of vaulting, heavier construction, and the addition of increasingly intricate exteriors incorporating towers, arcades, and decorative sculpture.
4. Role of Art in Romanesque Churches: Painting & Sculpture
Art is never without function, and in this lesson, we will talk about what roles painting and sculpture played in the Romanesque churches of medieval Europe.
5. The Influence of Monastic Orders on Romanesque Art & Architecture
Medieval European society was dominated by religious orders, who had a fair amount of wealth and social power. In this lesson, we'll see how these orders influenced artistic production through both their cooperation and their competition.
6. The Stavelot Triptych & the Role of the Reliquary
The Stavelot Triptych is one of the masterpieces of the 12th century. In this lesson, we'll look at this object in artistic terms and explore its importance to medieval societies.
7. The Bayeux Tapestry: Subject & Technique
The Bayeux Tapestry is a visual record of the Battle of Hastings and the events that led up to it. It is meant to justify William the Conqueror's invasion of England in 1066 CE. Learn how it was constructed, the history behind it and how the story unfolds through a long series of images.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Art 103: History of Western Art I course
- Understanding the Study of Western Art
- Visual Art During the Prehistoric Era: Paleolithic & Neolithic
- Art in Mesopotamia
- Art in Ancient Egypt
- Art in Aegean Culture & Ancient Greece
- Ancient Roman Architecture, Sculpture & Mosaics
- Jewish & Christian Art in Late Antiquity
- Art & Religion in the Byzantine Empire
- Art in the Islamic World
- Art During the Early Middle Ages in Europe
- Gothic Art During the Middle Ages in Europe
- Studying for Art 103