About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering material related to an analysis of Romeo and Juliet will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about Romeo and Juliet analysis. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in learning how to analyze Romeo and Juliet
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Watch each video in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Romeo and Juliet Analysis chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Romeo and Juliet Analysis chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any Romeo and Juliet question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know for an analysis of Romeo and Juliet for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Role of fate in Romeo and Juliet
- Major themes of the play
- Symbols and motifs found in the play
- Shakespeare's use of literary devices
- Relationship between the 'Pyramus and Thisbe' myth and Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet and A Midsummer Night's Dream
1. Romeo and Juliet: Shakespeare's Famous Star-Crossed Lovers
Great tragedies resonate throughout time. In this lesson, we'll go over the role of fate in Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. We'll explore the story of his star-crossed lovers and explain some of his most famous quotes.
2. Themes in Romeo and Juliet
In this lesson on ''Romeo and Juliet'' by William Shakespeare, we will discuss the themes of the forcefulness of love, love as a cause of violence, the individual versus society, and the inevitability of fate.
3. Motifs and Symbols in Romeo and Juliet
''Romeo and Juliet,'' by William Shakespeare, is filled with motifs and symbols that serve to provide understanding of the inner thoughts of the characters. We'll look at the imagery of light and dark and opposing points of view, as well as the symbols of poison and thumb-biting.
4. Literary Devices in Romeo and Juliet
'Romeo and Juliet' by William Shakespeare uses literary devices such as puns, foreshadowing, and metaphors to keep the reader engaged and move the plot forward. This lesson goes over some examples.
Romeo & Juliet Vocabulary Words Flashcards
This flashcard set focuses on vocabulary words associated with Acts 1 and 2 of William Shakespeare's 'Romeo and Juliet.' Use this flashcard to set to build your comprehension of Shakespearean English.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare: Study Guide course
- Romeo and Juliet Study Literary & Historical Context
- Romeo and Juliet Characters
- Romeo and Juliet Act 1 & Prologue Summary & Study Guide
- Romeo and Juliet Act 2 Summary & Study Guide
- Romeo and Juliet Act 3 Summary & Study Guide
- Romeo and Juliet Act 4 Summary & Study Guide
- Romeo and Juliet Act 5 Summary & Study Guide
- Teaching Romeo and Juliet