About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering material related to the characters in Romeo and Juliet will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about Romeo and Juliet characters. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in learning the characters associated with Romeo and Juliet
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Watch each video in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Romeo and Juliet Characters chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Romeo and Juliet Characters chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any Romeo and Juliet question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about the characters in Romeo and Juliet for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- Description and analysis of the characters in Romeo and Juliet
- How Shakespeare developed characters through dialogue
- Foil characters in the play
- Friar Laurence's soliloquy and letter to Romeo
- Traits and personality of Mercutio
- Character analysis of Paris
- Comic relief through the Nurse
- Profile and analysis of Tybalt and Benvolio
- History and family trees of the Montague and Capulet families
1. Characters of Romeo and Juliet: Description & Analysis
The classic play 'Romeo and Juliet' by William Shakespeare has deeply impacted hearts throughout the centuries. Read on to better understand the nature and motivations of these two famous lovers.
2. Characterization in Romeo & Juliet
In this lesson, you will learn the techniques William Shakespeare used to develop his characters through their dialogue, and how these techniques apply specifically to the characters in 'Romeo and Juliet.'
3. Foil Characters in Romeo and Juliet
This lesson is a brief look at foil characters in ''Romeo and Juliet''. There are several notable foil characters in the play and we will look at how their contrast with the protagonists provides insight into different situations within ''Romeo and Juliet''.
4. Friar Laurence in Romeo and Juliet: Soliloquy & Letter to Romeo
Friar Laurence may be the most important character in Shakespeare's play not named Romeo or Juliet. Read about the importance of Friar Laurence's soliloquy and how if a certain letter had made it to Romeo, an epic tragedy could have been avoided.
5. Mercutio in Romeo and Juliet: Character Analysis, Personality & Traits
Every hero needs a best friend. In this lesson, we'll learn about Mercutio, Romeo's loyal comedic foil, who loses his life in a duel in order to protect the Montague name.
6. Paris in Romeo and Juliet: Character Analysis
This lesson will explore the character of Count Paris in William Shakespeare's tragic drama ''Romeo and Juliet'', analyzing his significance to the play.
7. The Nurse & Comic Relief in Romeo and Juliet
Comic relief is not often a term associated with the tragedy 'Romeo and Juliet.' However, this lesson discusses Nurse's role in relieving the tension created by the lovers in the play.
8. Character of Tybalt: Profile, Traits & Analysis
Tybalt Capulet really likes to fight. He looks to draw his sword any time he can. He especially hates the Montague family. Learn about Juliet's angry cousin, Tybalt, and how his quick temper turned a beautiful romance into a classic tragedy in this lesson.
9. Character of Benvolio: Traits, Analysis & Profile
In Shakespeare's tragedy 'Romeo and Juliet,' we find a quiet, seemingly obscure character named Benvolio who almost solely weaves a role of stability in a tapestry of unsettled characters. We will trace Benvolio's role of peacemaker throughout this work.
10. The Montague Family: History & Family Tree
The Montagues and the Capulets are the two feuding families of Verona, Italy, in William Shakespeare's 'Romeo and Juliet.' In this lesson, we'll take a look at the Montague clan and learn about Romeo's family tree.
11. The Capulet Family: Family Tree & Overview
The Capulets and the Montagues are the two rival families of Verona in William Shakespeare's 'Romeo and Juliet'. In this lesson, we'll take a look at the Capulet family tree and learn about Juliet's half of the family feud.
Romeo & Juliet Character List & Flashcards
''Romeo and Juliet'' is one of the world's most tragic love stories, written by William Shakespeare. These flashcards will help you navigate the large list of characters, their contributions to the play, and how Shakespeare created such dynamic characters.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare: Study Guide course
- Romeo and Juliet Study Literary & Historical Context
- Romeo and Juliet Act 1 & Prologue Summary & Study Guide
- Romeo and Juliet Act 2 Summary & Study Guide
- Romeo and Juliet Act 3 Summary & Study Guide
- Romeo and Juliet Act 4 Summary & Study Guide
- Romeo and Juliet Act 5 Summary & Study Guide
- Romeo and Juliet Analysis
- Teaching Romeo and Juliet