About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering rooms division in hotel and lodging operations material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the rooms division in hotel and lodging operations. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the hotel front desk, night audits, hotel housekeeping and waste management in hospitality
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about hospitality management (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about the rooms division in hotel and lodging operations
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra hospitality management learning resources
How It Works:
- Find lessons in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Watch the video or read through the text lesson.
- Refer to the transcripts or specific lesson sections to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Rooms Division in Hotel & Lodging Operations chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Rooms Division in Hotel & Lodging Operations chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any rooms division question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos and read text lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a rooms division unit of a standard hospitality management course. Topics covered include:
- Functions and departments of hotel rooms
- Responsibilities and functions of the hotel front office
- Hotel front desk responsibilities and operations
- The guest cycle and central reservation system in hotels
- Duties and procedures of a night audit
- Housekeeping overview, standards and checklist
- How to calculate housekeeping linen par levels
- Waste management and uniformed services in hospitality
1. Hotel Rooms Departments & Functions
The rooms department handles several different aspects of a guest's visit, including the front desk, housekeeping, and guest services. Let's take a closer look at each of these teams and what they do.
2. Hotel Front Office: Functions & Responsibilities
In this lesson, you'll learn about the many tasks that the front office of a hotel is responsible for. You'll see that the front office keeps working long after the guests are asleep!
3. Hotel Front Desk: Operations & Responsibilities
In this lesson, learn what happens at the front desk of a hotel. See how the front desk manages all the rooms of a hotel, as well as how they interact with guests from the time guests check in to the time they check out.
4. The Guest Cycle in Hotels
In this lesson, we'll discuss the four stages of the guest cycle in hotels, including pre-arrival, arrival, occupancy, and departure. After finishing this lesson, you should be able to identify and explain the guest cycle in hotels.
5. What is a Hotel Central Reservation System?
With so many hotel chains and franchises opening up all over the world, having one central place to book a reservation makes sense. Hotel central reservation systems make it easy to book different hotels in a location.
6. What is a Night Audit? - Duties & Procedures
A hotel night auditor is responsible for ensuring the accuracy of hotel accounting records at the end of each business day. In this lesson, let's examine the duties and procedures of Jerry, a night auditor for a busy hotel in a resort town.
7. Housekeeping in the Hospitality Industry
One of the vital parts of the hospitality industry is the housekeeping department. This lesson will explain the role of the housekeeping department, basic functions, standards and expectations, and supervisory responsibilities in housekeeping.
8. Hotel Housekeeping: Standards & Checklist
This lesson will review hotel housekeeping standards to aid in providing high levels of customer satisfaction. We will discuss the importance of focusing on room comfort and safety with housekeeping checklists.
9. Calculating Housekeeping Linen Par Level
The housekeeping department of a hotel goes through hundreds of sheets per day. To have enough linen, housekeeping managers maintain par levels of inventory to meet the needs of the hotel.
10. Waste Management in the Hospitality Industry
Providing rooms for guests can be very costly for hotels. One way to reduce that cost is to reduce wasteful habits. In this lesson, we'll learn about waste management habits and tips for the hospitality industry.
11. Uniformed Services in Hospitality: Roles & Responsibilities
Uniformed services in a hotel are the staff members who perform essential duties that add to the guest experience. This lesson will highlight key aspects of guest services, such as baggage handling, valet parking, and dinner reservations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hospitality Management: Help & Review course
- International Hospitality Management
- Strategic Planning for Hotel & Lodging
- Operations Management in Hotel & Lodging
- Revenue Management for Hotel & Lodging
- Hospitality Marketing & Sales
- Human Resource Management for Hospitality
- Hotel Security & Safety
- Food & Beverage Operations in Hospitality
- Hospitality Industry Organizational Structure & Behavior
- Market Forces & Globalization in the Hospitality Industry
- Audits & Quality Control in the Hospitality Industry
- Intrapreneurship & the Hospitality Industry