About This Chapter
Russian Fairy Tales & Folklore - Chapter Summary
Take a look at this chapter's lessons to review a variety of Russian fairy tales and folklore. These short and engaging lessons summarize important characters and stories in Russian folklore, such as Baba Yaga, Father Frost, 'The Enormous Turnip' and 'Vasilisa the Beautiful.' Each lesson comes with a short quiz to reinforce literary terms and concepts. You can complete the chapter at your own pace, and our instructors are available to answer any questions you may have about Russian folklore and fairy tales. When you're finished with the chapter, you should be able to:
- Name popular Russian fairly tales
- Analyze Baba Yaga stories
- Summarize 'The Death of Koschei the Deathless,' 'The Girl Without Hands' and 'The Firebird & Princess Vasilisa'
- Identify the characters in 'Vasilisa the Beautiful' and 'The Enormous Turnip'
- Understand the folklore of Father Frost
- Interpret the story 'Tsarevich Ivan, the Firebird & the Grey Wolf'
1. Famous Russian Fairy Tales
Russian literature has a rich history, especially in terms of its folklore. Many fairy tales weren't available to outsiders of Russia until the 19th century. In this lesson, we will talk about Russia's famous fairy tales.
2. Who is Baba Yaga? - Stories & Folklore
In this lesson, we will examine the infamous Baba Yaga, who is featured as one of the most fearsome characters in a number of Russian fairytales. While typically portraying the enemy, Baba Yaga does help people learn important lessons.
3. The Death of Koschei the Deathless: Story & Folklore
It's a battle of mystical horses and powerful sorcerers in this story of love that won't be thwarted. Plus, you get an added look behind-the-scenes at the legend of Koschei the Deathless. In this lesson, we'll explore the story and the folklore.
4. Vasilisa the Beautiful: Summary, Characters & Analysis
'Vasilisa the Beautiful' is a Russian fairytale that features a young girl named Vasilisa and one of the most infamous characters in Russian folklore, Baba Yaga. In this lesson, we will examine the story and discuss the characters.
5. Father Frost: Russian Fairy Tale & Folklore
In this lesson, we will examine the Russian fairy tale 'Father Frost' from Andrew Lang's 'Yellow Fairy Book.' Further, we will discuss how the character evolved from Russian folklore into a central figure of the Russian holiday season.
6. Tsarevich Ivan, the Firebird & the Grey Wolf: Summary & Analysis
In this lesson, we will summarize the Russian fairytale 'Tsarevich Ivan, the Firebird & the Grey Wolf.' This is a story about sibling rivalry, work ethic, and loyalty.
7. The Firebird & Princess Vasilisa: Summary & Analysis
Do you always listen to your best friend's advice? What if your friend was a talking horse? In this lesson we will learn about the Russian folktale called 'The Firebird and Princess Vasilia,' and see how a talking horse saves his friend's life.
8. The Girl Without Hands: Summary & Analysis
One of the fairy tales collected by the Grimm brothers is ''The Girl Without Hands.'' In this lesson, we will summarize this story and analyze the meanings within this story.
9. The Enormous Turnip: Story & Characters
How many characters does it take to harvest a giant turnip? In this story, all of them! This lesson will offer a summary of ~'The Enormous Turnip~' and give readers a brief overview of the cast of characters.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Fairy Tales & Fables: Study Guide & Homework Help course
- Studying Rumpelstiltskin
- Studying The Princess & The Pea
- Studying Thumbelina
- Studying Rapunzel
- Studying The Tortoise & the Hare
- Studying The Little Mermaid
- Studying The Fox & The Crow
- Studying The Ant & The Grasshopper
- Studying The Little Match Girl
- Studying The Twelve Dancing Princesses
- Early Fables & Fairy Tales
- Studying Hans Christian Andersen
- Studying Little Red Riding Hood