About This Chapter
Safety, Accidents & Emergencies - Chapter Summary
This chapter will walk you through residential and workplace safety. There are also lessons relating to pedestrian, automotive, water, and recreational safety. In addition, our instructors cover the factors that contribute to violence in America. By the end of the chapter you will also have covered:
- Procedures for emergency care
- Intentional and unintentional injuries
- Prevention of intentional injuries
Our brief video-lessons come with transcripts that enhance the learning experience and provide links to articles that can deepen contextual understanding. The knowledgeable instructors will answer your questions through the system interface, and the self-assessment quizzes and exams can help you ensure you have mastered the material.
1. Residential Safety: Definition and Precautionary Measures
Residential safety involves safety measures that concern your home. This lesson will explain the many dangers that lurk at home and how you can avoid them.
2. Workplace Safety: Definition and Precautionary Measures
What's your line of work? Or, what are the dangers you face at work? Workplace safety is important; that's why we are going to discuss how to keep yourself safe in this lesson.
3. Pedestrian & Automotive Safety: Definition and Precautionary Measures
The safety of pedestrians and motor vehicle operators are often interlinked. This lesson will teach you about important safety measures you can take as a driver and a pedestrian to protect your life and those of others.
4. Water & Recreational Safety: Definition and Precautionary Measures
We all love to have fun, but that fun may come at a cost unless you are safe about recreation, namely water activities like boating and swimming. This lesson will show you why and what you can do to protect yourself.
5. Providing Emergency Care: Types & Methods
This lesson will teach you the first important steps you may need to take during an emergency situation and some basic but important life-saving techniques you can use during such an emergency.
6. Violence in America: Societal & Personal Factors
More than just economic factors play a role in the potential for someone to commit a violent crime. Some other types of factors that may contribute to someone committing a violent crime are discussed here as well.
7. Unintentional Injuries vs. Intentional Injuries: Definitions & Differences
It was an accident! We've all exclaimed that. Accident or not, intentional and unintentional injuries occur on a second by second basis in the U.S. We'll explore which ones result in tragedy most often.
8. Strategies to Prevent Intentional Injuries
Violent crimes occur on a daily basis, but that does not mean you have to be a victim. This lesson will outline some basic, but important tips and strategies you can use to keep yourself safe at home and in the outer world.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Health EC-12 (157): Practice & Study Guide course
- Human Body Systems
- Maintaining Healthy Body Systems
- Prenatal and Human Development
- Nutritional Disorders
- Physical Fitness
- Communicable Diseases
- Noncommunicable Diseases
- Understanding the Immune System
- Emotional & Mental Health
- Families & Family Issues
- Health & Healthy Relationships
- Sexuality & Health
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Alcohol, Tobacco & Other Drugs
- Substance Abuse & Addiction
- Community & Environmental Health
- Health Skills & Resources
- Health-Related Products & Services
- Health Education
- TExES Health EC-12 Flashcards